About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

C is for Contribution Week - VI - Marx Tabletop from Clarence



This appeared in my inbox with no text the following "Marx Desert Fox custom play set table..thought you might like....." in the title box and an eMail address I didn't recognise! I though it looked lovely, but needed something to go with it, so sent a message - "But that's lovely! Would you like to say something about it before I put it on the blog...."

I love it that one American has made it across the river and started laying into the Germans with his bayonet, windmill-fashion, while the spotter on the island's 'bought-it'!

Clarence Causey (for it was he) then explained the idea behind the table-display . . . 

"Hugh [I] got [The] original set in 1972 for Christmas at age 9.  Then for some reason at age 50, after having my own kids, began to relive my childhood and decided to start with the old Desert Fox play set.  I have the original plastic play mat, but thought a table would be easier to move around and have fun with, and my kids helped me paint it.  The set is all original Marx with exception of palm trees, US soldiers and 88mm flak guns which are all recasts.  Naturally enough, everything came from eBay..."

 . . . and sent a close-up of the rarer Marx '51' Tank, a scale-up (with extra detailing) of the older model.

The close-up of the bigger '51' tank

So thank you Clarence for sending that little treat to the blog (he sent something else as well!), 50? The best reason for starting anything Clarence!

2 comments:

Gisby said...

It took me back, sort of: I made a similar table for my Airfix Japanese and US marines, with a bunch of Marx pillboxes, etc. The island was made of piled sawdust, which I thought was pretty dam' clever. (I was 10 or so)

It was great, until the cat discovered a nice clean pile of sawdust, and started burying his own 'mines' in it.

Until then, it was fun, though.

Hugh Walter said...

Heheheheh! We had a sandpit which suffered from the same feline burials of anti-personnel ordnance!

Hugh