About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, February 16, 2018

T is for Toy Fair '18 Reports - GaleForce Nine - D&D

One of the few stands to really peak my attention at the Toy Fair this year was GaleForce Nine, who in addition to their own Dr. Who game, are carriers of games by other companies from outside the UK, or under license - one of which was is Dungeons and Dragons (D&D).

Tyrants of the Underdark is a new spin-off from the franchise, being less about Riverdeep and its environs (the only bit of the D&D universe with which I am familiar as my goodly knight [Damocles - I think I pretentiously dubbed him!] is stuck in an waterside-inn there with a sack of treasure and two bastard-swords, awaiting a rematch from 1989!) which veers away from role-playing, being a more traditional tactical board-game.

While it does have a few diminutive figures, most of the tokens are actually shield-like 'stands', so overall - a bit disappointing?

Collectable 'Spellbook' card sets were also on display, along with various guide-books and other paper-based ephemera - I like the idea of a cheat-sheet which also doubles as a screen behind which you do nefarious stuff your opponent can only worry about; although presumably he's muttering to himself and equally worrying you!

The real reason for D&D, 30mm (alright! 28-mil!) figurines, these limited to 1500 units - worldwide! I'd love a Chultan the dino-rider, but the last thing I need is to be spending my dosh on more heavy-metal!

No comments: