About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

S is for Short's Soaring-ship 'Sunderland' Sinks Slinking Submarines at Sea

Finally - the last of the Palitoy 'planes...

The maritime LRRP (long-range reconnaissance patrolling) and ASW (anti-submarine warfare) aircraft; the Short Aircraft Company's Sunderland 'Flying Boat'.

One of my first ever kits was the Airfix 1:72 scale version of this beast, basically a box-full of portholes, most of which I foxed, sticking them first to my fingers, then the carpet before stuffing them - un-trimmed of flash or gate-scars and complete with their new furry covers - into their cavities, leaving the crew with no vision whatsoever...I was about 7!

I was given it by a girl I hardly new (she was the brother of a primary-school mate...Ben someone or other?) who had been invited to my party to make-up the numbers (and because her brother was attending and it was 'fair' - Britain used to aspire to fairness!). Anyway, it was the best present I'd had from an invitee to any birthday, and I decided she must fancy me! I was - as it happens - in bed with a temperature, so the party was carried-on in my absence, for the benefit of my brother (?!%!#!?&?!), and when she came up to give me the parcel (clearly - whatever I had - it wasn't contagious!) she stuck her hand under the covers and I decided we were in love...I never saw her again, the little hussy!

Still, how shallow am I that I can be bought with a Sunderland! No, really...35-odd years later I told the story to a lover and she found me one on Amazon, when I still didn't know what Amazon was! It arrived out of the blue with a gift card and little personal message, brilliant!

Again an early-war 'type', although serving-on for many years, as the Palitoy toy, it also came as a clockwork version with a small clockwork motor fitted into the body cavity, it's winding handle sticking-out of the fuselage under the port wing. If I ever get one (these aren't mine) it'll be an excuse to return to these again.

Previously on Small Scale World;
- Boulton-Paul Defiant, Wellington and Lockheed Hudson with main blurb.
- 'Flying Wing' from Alfred
- Two versions of the Spitfire

No comments: