About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

F is for First Bendy?

Another cutting lost to the mists of time, probably another syndicated piece from a Floridian paper, and it could be one of the first 'Bendy Toys', if not the original, it's not something I've studied that closely! LRM not LRG . . . go Bendy!

Bendy Man; Bendy Toys; Cuttings; Ephemera; Novelties; Novelty Figurine; Novelty Toy; PVC; PVC Figurines; PVC Plastic Toy Figurines; PVC Rubber; PVC Toy; PVC Vinyl Figures; PVC Vinyl Rubber; Rubber Figurine; Rubber Man; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Uncle Milton; Wham-O;

Bendy Man; Bendy Toys; Cuttings; Ephemera; Novelties; Novelty Figurine; Novelty Toy; PVC; PVC Figurines; PVC Plastic Toy Figurines; PVC Rubber; PVC Toy; PVC Vinyl Figures; PVC Vinyl Rubber; Rubber Figurine; Rubber Man; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Uncle Milton; Wham-O;
It appears - from the hat - to have been aimed at the Halloween market? Anyone know anything else about it? Wham-O or Uncle Milton perhaps?

4 comments:

Therin of Andor said...

Confiscated toys went to the very top of our kitchen dresser. My younger brother was notorious for coming home from school with small toys obtained by curious means. One time, in 1966, he came home with the first "Bendy" toy I ever saw. They were all the rage at school for a few weeks, and he tried bringing one home.

The Bendy was called "Mr Zebra", I think, but I don't know why. I've never seen one again and he fails to show up in Google searches. So far. I think the character had a bowler hat and the typical skinny limbs with wire inside. I also remember the day my mother put this confiscated item out with the old toys being sent off to The Smith Family appeal when we were getting ready to move house in 1971.

I have never found an image of him. But this one in your blog might be close!

Hugh Walter said...

The cauuting came from the James Chase collection, which extented from the late 1930's until about 1980 at the latest, so this could fit in with your target date of - what I gather to be - the late 60's?

Glad you found it! What's Andor like at this time of Universal Rythem, it's all a bit grim here at the moment, I'm afraid!

H

Hugh Walter said...

Cutting!

Hugh Walter said...

Looks like he's British, I picked one up today at Sandown Park toy fair, with made in England on the base.

11.11.11 lest we forget . . . we will remember them.

H