About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, September 28, 2018

H is for How They Come In - 'Jims Box'

I was looking out for Jim at Sandown Park, but he found me first and literally dumped this in my lap! I wanted his surname or eBay 'handle' by way of thanking him properly for the box that arrived here back in the summer and out of the blue, but he's happy with Jim, so Jim it is, and many thanks to him for another pile of useful, interesting, odd or gap-filling stuff!

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 1 Overview Of Jims Box DSCN9731
As it opened, and less a couple of interesting bits which were obvious on the top! What can you spot? Dongle-archive ready to the left and the 'Pirate Day' opening article being finished on the screen!

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 2 Initial Sorting Of Jims Box DSCN9732
First sorted into basic piles, in order to get the box out of the way, it was animal-heavy, but I think that's Jim's main trope as far as collecting goes, the O-gauge level crossing gates will be a while in the spares box I fear, but it's all grist to the mill, and one day it may be perfect as a background in a photo-shoot!

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 3 Temporary Sorting Of Jims Lot DSCN9794
Further sorting, because all the animals are split between the storage lot and the attic lot, and with both a bit disorganised, for now I've just done them by type, and will sort them all again properly later. I've already had a good look at the piggy-wigs though, and a small post is forthcoming!

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 4 Highlights Of Interest Unusual Figures And Things DSCN9734
Some of the more interesting or unusual pieces, we've already had the Lone Star Indian and the Hing Kong blow-moulded Alienaut! An early Lego tree and flat rubber-sheep marked Mercis TV 1977 (some 'Pugwash' type cartoon?) were highlights along with a Lone Star knight in an odd colour plastic.

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 5 How They Come In Highlander Jesus Taylor And Barratt Blacksmith
The three I picked for the post - a hard-styrene highlander from a hollow-cast mould, I think I may have one or two in storage, but haven't found the highlander box yet, I'm hoping (and suspect) mine is/are darker painting?

The Jesus/Disciple/Saint figure is also hard styrene and a copy of a Marx piece I think, while I got very excited about the blacksmith, thinking it might be an unidentified Speedwell, given its similarity in size and sculpting to those diminutive medics we looked at recently, but a quick check on Barney Brown's site reveled it to be T... &/or B... (with tatty paint) but still; new to the collection!

Contribution, Donations, How They Come In, Job Lot, Mixed Lot, Mixed Playthings, Mixed Toys, Show Plunder, Show Reports, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, 6 Crescent Berserker Highlander Jesus Taylor And Barratt Blacksmith DSCN9767
The local berserker gives an idea of scale/size, while the highlander shields the holy man! The reason I think I may have the odd highlander is that these three are all within the size I used to collect-to; 50mm.

Cheers Jim, they may be your chuck-outs, but they will prove invaluable to the Blog; piggy-wiggies in a day or two!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, hope this helps, the red coloured barrier gate originates from the Action Force/G.I.Joe "Checkpoint Alpha" play set.

Hugh Walter said...

It does Anonymous! It does; thank you very much...

H