About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Q is for Questionable Quaker Quandary Question-time?

When I say 'unknown', I've yet to find them but they may be out there somewhere?

These came as a single lot about 20-years ago and there are about three times the number I've shot, in all four colours but with green short, most separated and hard to make into sets, suggesting more in the original sample. I haven't added a single figure to the lot since I found it, nor had I found any prior to finding the lot.

1:72nd; 1:76th; 20mm Figures; 20mm Pirates; Baker Street; Cap'n Crunch; Captain Crunch; Cereal Givaways; Cereal Premium Pirates; Cereal Premiums; Gerry Rafferty; Guards Band; Guards Musician; HO - OO; International Talk Like A Pirate Day; ITLAPD; OO-Gauge; Pirate Day; Pirate Novelty; Pirate Premiums; Pirate Toy; Pirates; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Quaker Food Premiums; Quaker Oats Pirates; Saxophonist; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Talk Like A Pirate;
Now . . . is the central character Cap'n Crunch? If he is, I think that narrows it down a bit to Quaker? The Cap'n Crunch's I've seen have no hackle in their hat, larger moustaches and obvious epaulettes, but these things change over time and it would tie in with the Gladiators and Airfix offers (Combat Group and Wild West).

You can see they are all based loosly on other pre-existing figures from Marx, Thomas-Poplar, or Charbens and there are two strips of five found in the lot, an 'A' strip and an 'F'* strip. Strangely, the guy to the right of the cartoon character seems to be based on the dead-german from Marx? He's looking a bit uncomfortable that's for sure!

Whether this means there are others to be found, or just that the factory used un-similar letter stamps for east of identification is unknowns, because no others have turned-up and the 30-odd+ figures I have are all from the two strips?

* It might be 'E', but they are back in the attic and I forgot to write it down!

1:72nd; 1:76th; 20mm Figures; 20mm Pirates; Baker Street; Cap'n Crunch; Captain Crunch; Cereal Givaways; Cereal Premium Pirates; Cereal Premiums; Gerry Rafferty; Guards Band; Guards Musician; HO - OO; International Talk Like A Pirate Day; ITLAPD; OO-Gauge; Pirate Day; Pirate Novelty; Pirate Premiums; Pirate Toy; Pirates; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Quaker Food Premiums; Quaker Oats Pirates; Saxophonist; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Talk Like A Pirate;
Set 'F' (or 'E'!); again some recognisable poses from the larger scales, but all hand 'drawn' copies, not pantographs. All mine are green, blue, red or the above, rather flaccid, yellow, and with no shade or hue variations, all clean, so clean they may even be factory 'blanks' or test-shots which never got a commercial release?

While - as I said - they don't all make up strips, enough of them match-up to see how they were cut off the strips after 'purchase' - that yellow 'A' set above is complete. While I can't make a whole F/E strip, I can make two runs of three (in different colours), one from either end, so I know - from the 'overlap' and a complete 'A' that it's just the two strips in the collection/lot.

1:72nd; 1:76th; 20mm Figures; 20mm Pirates; Baker Street; Cap'n Crunch; Captain Crunch; Cereal Givaways; Cereal Premium Pirates; Cereal Premiums; Gerry Rafferty; Guards Band; Guards Musician; HO - OO; International Talk Like A Pirate Day; ITLAPD; OO-Gauge; Pirate Day; Pirate Novelty; Pirate Premiums; Pirate Toy; Pirates; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Quaker Food Premiums; Quaker Oats Pirates; Saxophonist; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Talk Like A Pirate;
History never explained why the pirates had a Grenadier Guard's Saxophonist aboard ship, but luck was clearly with the condemned on this occasion; they would die happy!

As you can see they are wholly compatible with HO and OO-gauge related figures, coming somewhere between 23 and 25mm at around (a round?) 24mm! As far as I know, these are new to the cereal premium guys, new to you 'plastic warriors' and new to the Internet?

No comments: