About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, June 29, 2017

ECW is for English Civil War

Following on from the purchase of Tuesday, let's have a closer look at the range, or at least those I have ferreted away in 'the pile' over the last few years.

 I think we've had these comparison type shots before, but I took them again, and everyone likes new images! The ABC copy has been given a cut-n-shut pike-man's head, while the generic is a straight piracy, and while the cavalier is of poor quality with a pitted surface to the plastic in places, the ABC is a more reasonable finish, yet with that typical Hong Kong glossiness!

New addition on the left with paint-loss to the elbow, older chap on the right has scruffy legs! It may be that they can be touched-up with matt Humbrol, but I tend to leave them in the manner to which they have become accustomed.

This is what I've got in total, there may be a couple more HK copies in storage, so I still need a good 'Rupert' (mine is 'directing from the rear' sat on a saddle!), but as I often say to the chagrin of my detractors, this stuff was mass produced; for kids (6-12 was the customer-base), in plastic, and it does turn-up - apart from a few in the Autumn 2010 purchase, these have all come-in for pennies, in job-lots, and as the big-buy was a car-load for a few hundred quid, they too probably work out at pennies per figure.

4 comments:

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

Thanks for sharing these, I haven't seen them before. When were they produced?

Hugh Walter said...

Errr....1950-something to the mid 1960's? I'm away from the ephemera!

We were buying our toy soldiers from the late '60's to the late '70's and I don't remember seeing them so I guess they were phased-out around '64/66'ish?

I'll find out tonight and get back to you on that one Jack . . .

H

Maudlin Jack Tar said...

I think my first Britains were Cowboys in 1967 so I would have missed these. Very nice figures.

Hugh Walter said...

Damn! I forgot to get look for the dates . . . keep an eye out on this thread - I've written a note to myself on my 'to do' list, I will try and sort it out tonight, but it may not be here till Monday! Sorry Jack.

H