About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 8, 2008

B is for Betterwear

Yeah! I know...I can think of at least 6 Z's, it's Q that will be the problem!!

Well, the enthusiasm of a new blog leads to two posts in one day!! These are by Betterwear, a company that was early on the scene with door-to-door sales of plastic household goods from little catalogues issued every month or so, the company is still going as a franchise, but they haven't given away this type of Premium/Incentive for years. The heyday was the late 50's through to the early 70's.

The first photograph shows the 25mm range, appearing in soft red and cream plastic, these are taken from the much copied/licensed 'World Dancers' and 'National Dress' sets found all over the world, flat and semi-flat, various scales and hard or soft plastic, these are flats. I will do a full article on these figures in the fullness of time...no, I will!! [February 2009 - I did, you'll find it under 'W is also for World Dolls']

Also flats; The Cowboys are closer to 45mm and again turn up in hard plastic as Margarine/Tobacco premiums elsewhere. Bottom right is commonly found damaged so he may be clubbing with a rifle or using a pick? [Clubbing with  rifle...June 2014]


The final photo shows the Betterwear Polystyrene medicine spoon with 54mm civilian in typical 1950's office dress, and the others compared to an Airfix 20mm Cowboy.

No comments: