About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, December 22, 2008

M is also for "Miniatures Miliataires"

This rather nice set came to me via Harfields (link above) and is a set of the three commonest versions of Starlux modern French Infantry (I say 'modern' - Post War is probably the better term now!), being Helmeted, Para-beret bedecked and sporting the Kepi of the French Foreign Legion.

I suspect that in the 1950's or early 60's when this set was issued it would have caused a bit of a disappointment, containing more air than product! Now of course, it is a fine example of early French small-scale production, these being the 25mm variant of figures produced in 25, 30, 50 and 54mm over the years. It also contains three hard to get (in good condition) support weapons and a complete example of the man running with bayonet, a pose who - like his Marx ACW brethren - is always damaged!

[Note; I have given these the search 'label' of "Nitrocellulose/Acetone"; However like LEGO and others, Starlux used various plastics including Phenolics, so this search term will cover all those that aren't polystyrene or polyethylene, which will continue to be found under "Plastic"] - Tags changed 2012, now listed under both!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the disappointment in "more air" Statement. Plastic does have its place. Like some automotive parts (to make cars lighter and cheaper for production), game pieces-sometimes, fantasy miniatures or military Game pieces-No. I like Marx figures and I think they made a great product, but they were made out of plastic or should I say, made on the cheap. I am not exactly sure what their motto was on making the toys: "The cheaper the better" or "Cheap and still functional", Whatever. They made some really great toys and some are highly collectible now. Even some of the Marx Plastic figurines fetch about $20 bucks for a one inch in height piece of plastic. Myself, when it comes to miniatures, it has to be heavy. I am not talking about the Chinese lead miniatures, but the white metal miniatures. Big or small, expensive or cheap, I don't care. It has to be metal. Nothing like playing war game and having a heavy tank or feel in the hand and plunking it down on some Else's territory with authority.

Hugh Walter said...

I will be featuring a bit of metal from time-to-time, however I am a bit of a novice when it comes to metal. Although I have often picked up metal in my 'Drift Nets' I had not rated it until a couple of years ago, when I started picking up early Stadden and Suren (Willie), I also got some Les Higgins ECW which are exquisite and fully compatible with early Airfix - both size wise and in sculptural style.

I will also be covering Marx in the fullness of time, but with figures from some 2,000 known and as many unknown companies it will take time. I did post images of the 'Charge of the Light Brigade' set for someone on the HaT forum, on my Imageshack account a while ago. Search for 'peerpressure' them 'Marx'.

Thanks for dropping by.