About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 17, 2017

M is for More on the Margarine Menagerie - from Malta

These came as a bulk lot from the excellent Swagman's Daughter, and for a very reasonable remuneration, so many thanks to her, and they/this post help answer a few questions, left from last time, along the way.

One of each pose/item in each of the two new colours, it's a odd selection, with a couple of question marks (in my mind at least), such as is the horse supposed to be a Zebra, which is the American Buffalo and which the Eurasian Wisent, are they both buffalo or are they both bison, is it a seal or a Sea-lion and how do you tell without a given scale, why so many deer . . . and etcetera! And while Google would help with some, I'd lose the paragraph and I've lots of images to provide copy for here!

Useful for backgrounds and narrow-shelf displays, these new ones are all in soft polyethylene plastic and two wishy-washy colours which don't photograph that well, but by the end of the post you'll be pretty familiar with them! The 'Birch' is a bit of a guess but the only obvious alternative is those trees in the Southern US states with that mossy stuff hanging in them?

If I didn't lump the sea-life in with this shot it would be a kangaroo (or wallaby - no scale again?), but all the sea-life are common in the Southern-oceans or Antarctica so we have a four-shot!

North American doesn't fare much better! I've called it a Buffalo Bison to differentiate it from the Wisent and used the bigger model for the North American version, but are they the bigger, are they Bison Buffalo? Does anybody care!

Yeah! I should perhaps have not bothered with the labelling, or got a biology degree first! Reindeer are bigger huh? Red, Roe, doe , fawn, Hearts or Harts, are they a species 'white hearts' . . . too many deer!

The horse should probably be a Zebra but he's too big and the mane's too long and the tails too fluffy so I've made him a steppe-pony; arbitrarily! The fox and the pig are straightforward, but see above for the buffalo notes!

Small ears and round back make him Asian! The Rhino looks Asian too actually? Is a Dromedary a hybrid? Having recently watched a program of the Bactrian originals - which are very different - and remeberering research we did on the HaT site years ago; I've chickened-out of going firm on that one, most are hybrids weather one hump or two! Haven't the faintest which Gazelle-Impala-other one is depicted, but 'gazelles' leap about!

Plastic colours and types so far found; the original margarine and other premiums were in various shades of off-white, cream and pale-beige polystyrene and the same material has provided the oxide red, scarlet, blue and jade, while the same blue can also be found in soft polyethylene along with the green and yellow (prompting today's post) and black.

However all but a few of the creamy-white ones I have here come from the Swagman's Daughter (there are more originals in storage), as well as the people thanked last time (Paul Morehead and Brian Carrick), Peter Evans gave me another handful at May's Plastic Warrior show, while I've purchased a few of the smaller lots along with the bulk clearance 'bundle'; and they all came - originally - from a wholesaler's stock in Malta.

They are used on religious high-days and holidays (and other civic events?), wrapped in little paper twists and thrown from the houses to the children in the street 9nowadays it seems to be mostly confetti streamers and balloons), if you've followed previous links to the Swagman's Daughter you'll have seen all sorts similar novelties previously associated with gum-balls, Sobres, Christmas cracker-prizes and so on - a lot of them came from the same vendor in Malta.

Clearly this was another outlet for such stuff; I guess a 1970's piñata would have contained the same little novelties alongside the sweets they also carried [and which are also thrown in Malta, were among the first items ever in Christmas crackers and often found as part of the mix in Sobres, Wundertutten and Lucky Bags], it's another source for the mould-owners to sell product too, and another source for us collectors to mine!

Now last time I mentioned that people had named both Jean and Manurba as the origin of the larger versions, they are in fact Manurba as seen by the catalogue image provided by Andreas Dittmann here, but only some of the poses have been scaled down for this set, while other poses in this set are either original sculpts or taken from elsewhere?

I've since picked up another hard plastic one from the Manurba set, a Llama (missing from the small set) although his Prickly-pear is damaged I notice! Whether Manurba were the holders of the original tool, back in the margarine-premium days, is still anyone's guess, but I wouldn't bet my shirt on another brand at the moment, although I think the moulds had been passed-on by the time they were building-up in a warehouse in Malta?

Another question which arose, not in the last post, but in the sorting of the ethylene batch was; why have a set with a 29-count; 28 or 30 being more obvious targets for the sculptor and tool-makers? Well, there are more fence pieces in either colour than there are of any other sculpt, with most animals outnumbered in both colours, the clear inference being that a full 'set' or mould-shot contains two cavities of the broken-down fence, giving a likely 30-count after all?

And they are bloody useful when you have them in such numbers!

 
I know what you're thinking Giselle -
have I used six; or only five?
Well, in all the excitement I clean forgot to count...

Adjusted set-count; the numbering is arbitrary I think.

Two of the animals have suffered from miss-moulding or short-shot, the elephant and the fox, the fences also suffer, but they are bound too with all the thin channels which make-up the moulding.

As well as suffering short-shots the same three sculpts (along with the two palm trees and leaping 'gazelle') also have some very flashy examples, which was probably because the pressure was turned-up or the heat increased - to prevent short-shotting - with the result it 'over-flowed' it's designated parameters!

There's also a great variance in colour across both colour samples with a lot of washed-out semi-transparent examples, where not enough pigment has been added to the raw material and the neutral granules haven't picked-up enough colour to go fully-opaque or 'solid'? That last lot was a mouthful wasn't it . . . the vagaries of 'getting technical'!!

'Image 13' my notes say - unlucky for some? I think the combination of the three problem areas is what decided the Swagman's Daughter to offload them for a reasonable-sum in my general direction, and I in return for a bargain said I'd only swap them . . .

. . . so while I have a few complete sets of these for swap, it'll be on a no money, no pack-drill basis! Therefore; if anyone would like a complete example (with two fences) get in touch and tell me what you've got to offer in exchange, early applicants can stipulate green or yellow, or get a default 50/50 mix.

2 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

I am flat out against them. Could they spare the plastic?

Hugh Walter said...

Heh-heh-heh! Hee-hee-hee . . .
Have you gone on a comedy course . . .
Without telling me?

H