About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, November 16, 2020

B is for Box-ticking Boring Board-game!

It's not really boring, it can be quite fun, with the ruthlessness of Monopoly, yet without the drawn-out, slow-deaths which makes the latter so painful if you aren't the 1-in-eight winner!

But it is a real box ticker; there's tons on the internet, about dozens of versions, both current and vintage so I'm  just getting the Parker and Board Game tags up.

American War of Independence; AWI Toy Soldiers; Board Game; Board Game Playing Pieces; Boardgame Pieces; Game Counters; Game Figures; Game Playing Pieces; Game Rules; Gaming Figurines; Great Powers; Hasbro; Hasbro Board Game; Hasbro-Parker; Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; Napoleonic Wars; Parker Board Game; Parker Brothers; Parker Games; Parker Toys; Parker-Hasbro; Risk; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars Risk; The Grand Game; The World Conquest Game; War Games Figures; War Gaming;
Both a bit tatty I held on to one to wait for the other to come out of storage, they are over a month-since gone to recycling, but these are what I consider to be 2nd (upper) and 3rd (lower) standard versions of the box, the 1st version had a game set-up photograph (I think) with the 'snowflake' pieces of the original game.

American War of Independence; AWI Toy Soldiers; Board Game; Board Game Playing Pieces; Boardgame Pieces; Game Counters; Game Figures; Game Playing Pieces; Game Rules; Gaming Figurines; Great Powers; Hasbro; Hasbro Board Game; Hasbro-Parker; Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; Napoleonic Wars; Parker Board Game; Parker Brothers; Parker Games; Parker Toys; Parker-Hasbro; Risk; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars Risk; The Grand Game; The World Conquest Game; War Games Figures; War Gaming;
Contents; I'd forgotten it's a game with a biggly number of dice! Biggly-biggly, that's a Donald-fact! Hey, I haven't properly mined the comedy aspect and he'll be gone on the 20th Jan! Kept the rules pamphlet for scanning into the archive.

American War of Independence; AWI Toy Soldiers; Board Game; Board Game Playing Pieces; Boardgame Pieces; Game Counters; Game Figures; Game Playing Pieces; Game Rules; Gaming Figurines; Great Powers; Hasbro; Hasbro Board Game; Hasbro-Parker; Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; Napoleonic Wars; Parker Board Game; Parker Brothers; Parker Games; Parker Toys; Parker-Hasbro; Risk; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars Risk; The Grand Game; The World Conquest Game; War Games Figures; War Gaming;
Boards, I seem to have picked up the Star Wars board at some point but don't know what I did with the pieces, if I ever had them? I think the 2nd version (top) is the same as the 1st version, while the 3rd has a more 'parchment' look to it and the Star Wars one is rather bland, if you ask me!

American War of Independence; AWI Toy Soldiers; Board Game; Board Game Playing Pieces; Boardgame Pieces; Game Counters; Game Figures; Game Playing Pieces; Game Rules; Gaming Figurines; Great Powers; Hasbro; Hasbro Board Game; Hasbro-Parker; Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; Napoleonic Wars; Parker Board Game; Parker Brothers; Parker Games; Parker Toys; Parker-Hasbro; Risk; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars Risk; The Grand Game; The World Conquest Game; War Games Figures; War Gaming;
Newer on the left, older on the right and anyone over 40 should remember the strange set of asterisks, snowflakes and cheese slices of the original game! Nominally 10mm in scale/size, due to the thickness of the bases I suspect with judicious use some of these could feed into 15mm war-games armies as well? With nappies provided by the 1990's set and AWI/Marlborough covered by the newer figures.

American War of Independence; AWI Toy Soldiers; Board Game; Board Game Playing Pieces; Boardgame Pieces; Game Counters; Game Figures; Game Playing Pieces; Game Rules; Gaming Figurines; Great Powers; Hasbro; Hasbro Board Game; Hasbro-Parker; Napoleonic Toy Soldiers; Napoleonic Wars; Parker Board Game; Parker Brothers; Parker Games; Parker Toys; Parker-Hasbro; Risk; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars Risk; The Grand Game; The World Conquest Game; War Games Figures; War Gaming;
And if you want to do it without paint, there are dozens of 'nations' now, with different main colours and variations between print-runs!

That's them, done!

4 comments:

Ed and Bettina Berg said...

Hugh, when I was stationed at George AFB in the early '80s, a bunch of us loons would get together at a friend's house and pull all nighters playing Risk. I was pretty good at it, but now anything that takes longer than 5-10 minutes loses my attention real quick like lol

Hugh Walter said...

Sorry Ed - missed this at the time, and the idiot spammer! Deleted him, reply forthcoming . . . Yes, we used to play the old cheese-slice version on quiet days in barracks back in the 1980's, I'd say I was only mediocre! Same problem as with chess, I'm so far ahead in my head, I miss whats happening now, and my empire-building usually results in my sudden death!

H

Ed and Bettina Berg said...

Hugh, are you familiar with Milton Bradley's games?:
Battle Cry, American Civil War (1961)
Broadside, War of 1812 naval (1962)
Dogfight, World War I aerial (1963)
Hit the Beach, World War II amphibious (1965)

For me this was a mixed bag. Did really well with Battle Cry, okay with Dogfight, really crappy with Broadside. Never played Hit The Beach. Fun times but now I couldn't sit still for five minutes playing a game LOL

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Ed; I know 'of them', and have some figures from the original Battle Cry, but, while we got most MB stuff after about 75, either branded to MB or licensed to someone else, those early ones never crossed the pond - commercially - as far as I know? Battle Cry is supposed to be getting a re-issue, with similar figures to the original?

H