About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, November 29, 2020

N is for Novelty . . . Guards - Kinder?

I know these were given to me by Peter Evans (who sent me another parcel the other day - most of which has been forwarded to Rack Toy Month), but I think they were among the first things he sent to the Blog about 11/12-years ago, in with a bunch of other stuff. I recognised them, as I'd been to his old place several years earlier and seen them on a little self (and admired them), so it was a nice gesture; packing them off to me!

But in those days the 'H is for...' trope hadn't been invented (except I did do a couple of show reports) here, so they got sorted away with the rest of the lot - HK stuff if I remember correctly?

30mm Guardsmen; 30mm Toy Figures; 30mm Toy Soldiers; Cake Decoration Figures; Cake Decorations; Factory Painted; Guards Band; Guards Division; Guards Drummer; Guards Musicians; Guardsman Toy Soldiers; Guardsmen; Hong Kong Novelty; Made in Hong Kong; Novelty Figures; Novelty Figurines; Novelty Guards; Novelty Toy Soldiers; Polystyrene Toy Soldiers; Sentries; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
I've seen them described as Kinder, but suspect that was the over-enthusiasm of the early O-Ei-A authors who tended to label anything small enough to fit the capsule as a Kinder egg premium, when in fact these are probably cake decorations aping the Marx Babes in the Wood figures some of which were scaled-down for the Disney themed Miniature Masterpiece boxed 'playsets'.

I may even have a couple (probably damaged) in-with all the Marx Miniature Masterpiece odds somewhere, as these went almost straight into storage, and only came out recently. The guy in the middle is missing a plug-on bass-drum and has a truncated drum-stick.

I don't know how many poses there were in total, maybe six (an officer or drum-major being the obvious absentees?) would be neater than five, they're hard polystyrene and marked Hong Kong in tiny letters on the bases of the roughly 30mm figures. Cheers Peter!

No comments: