About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

D is Dinosaur Round-up

Not something you'd contemplate from the back of a horse, or even an open-jeep! Being; all the Dinosaur-related stuff hanging around on the desk-top or in Picasa. Have we had that attempt at humour before?

Brian B sent these back in the autumn, if not further ago, and they were sitting patiently waiting their turn (which is now), and while I know some of you will be groaning inwardly with a sighed "Not more novelty crap on SCW!", the fact is, if you have a skeleton army outside of the restrictive-practice legislation of someone like Games Workshop, these are fantastic, who wouldn't want a dirt-cheap, dead-bear 'Champion' or a skeletal War Elephant!

And bollocks to scale - you're proposing to field an army of skeletons who have not only come back to life, but can operate under combat conditions without muscles or sinews holding their bones together! And Geoworld give you a 'free' iceberg for your Revell Titanic model-kit or Timpo Esquimaux - double bargain!

I bought the upper group the other day for a quid, and photographed them with the aim of trying to separate them into the two (or even three) origin-samples I thought might be in the bag - along with the three 'minis' we saw in the Paul Lamond-post a couple of days ago.

But then - looking for something else in the archive - I found the lower shot, taken from the US importer D&D Distibution's catalogue, and it would appear that while I'm missing one or two (all right - three!), they are all from the same source!

Quite old-school in execution, they are a softish PVC, although there is variation enough in density between them for me to have set-about trying to sort them into separate lots! I seem to be missing the large upright sauropod-looking green one, the spinosaur next to him and the flying dinosaur to the left (in white), although I think I may have the 'bog-standard' palm-tree somewhere!

Picked this up because it's a Dimetrodon! Don't know anything else about it (it might have been carried by HGL - that's something else about it actually!), but look at my Dimetrodon! It's a Dimetrodon and it's mine!

Picture Credit - Meme via Doghousediaries 2012

If you squeeze his head together his teeth line-up nicely and slot together! It's purely coincidental - I think - but it's cool!

This is also from Brian B and is only posed (I hope, the thought of dinosaurs free to wander up the tracks is worrying!), but it's a rather neat use of different sized/scaled sauropods to make a family group, here paying a little too much attention to the bus-station under the arches!

Thanks to Brian for both contributions and more dino's to-come today.

No comments: