About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Q is for Question Time - African Natives?

I see the emperor with no clothes added a monkey to my Deluxe Reading post, so nice to see him so happy in my dust! I told you you'd all be the beneficiaries if TJF raised his game, trouble is he hasn't raised it as much as I thought he might! I wonder if he can add anything to these?

These are a bit of a puzzle, however there are a few clues which may help ID them by jogging someone's memory, and their 'story' as far as I am concerned (and the clues) has changed over the years!

50mm African Toy Figures; African Barers; African Bearers; African Natives; African Toy Figures; African Warrior Toy; Native Africans; Native Barers; Native Bearers; Native Costumes; Old Plastic Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Toy Soldiers; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Figures;
I first found the guy on the left (50mm, soft polyethylene), and wondered if he may be from a die-cast or plastic car set, as he seemed to be as likely carrying a picnic on the beach in his Hawaii-shorts as he was carrying White Bossy's stuff in the ulhu! Particularly that manufactured-looking, US-style, lunch-box in his left hand, which is more Bondi Beach than bondu-baggage!

I also considered that he might be a cake decoration; the splash of paint being the driver of those particular thoughts?

However, I then picked-up a pair of what I guess is slightly earlier figures due to their extra/second colour (hair/packages), and in conversation with Mr Morehead (of PW fame) and Mr Begg - who were present - it was decided they must be Hong Kong Africans (which happen to be unmarked - not that uncommon), due to the poor paint - none at all on the rear is a Lucky/LP trick, and totem poles, very few totem poles get turned by the painter!

There they sat for a while . . . well until I took this shot the other day - with a second spearman coming-in at some point. These four were all in storage and I'd forgotten - when I shot the images - that another has come in more recently . . .

50mm African Toy Figures; African Barers; African Bearers; African Natives; African Toy Figures; African Warrior Toy; Native Africans; Native Barers; Native Bearers; Native Costumes; Old Plastic Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Toy Soldiers; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Figures;
. . . who - as you can see - is another (early?) two-colour chap, equally undecorated on the rear, and another 'carrier'. His 'baggage' is even more contemporary-looking than the other chaps 'lunch-box', being like a military 'Norwegian' liquid/hot-food container . . . or a fire-extinguisher?!

Which-  I think - brings us back to die-cast or plastic vehicles, maybe a safari Land Rover type; the spearmen just scaring a predator or sorting some game for the camp-fire? Equally they could - still - be in the cake-decoration frame, but it's a long-shot now, although another long-shot - given the painting - might be board-game playing pieces, with maybe a forth - yellow (?) - one, out there somewhere?

There is something of the Africans from the Manurba-Heinerle-Layla school about them, particularly in the translucence to the thin areas of plastic, but the bases are too-thin I feel and the paint is a bit of a barrier to those thoughts. I favour the plastic safari play-set theory; Hong-Kong, 1970's?

As the first four to turn-up made two pairs, a typical accessory-figure count for one of those cheap plastic vehicles (cheap then - have you seen where prices are going on them now!), the fact that a third has turned-up raises the additional questions of how many poses were there and whether any others are as war-like as Master 'Spearman'?

Has anyone had one, got one, or remember the name of it - whatever it was, or do you posses more sculpts/poses?

No comments: