About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

News, Views Etc . . . Highlander in the A-Z

Starting to sort the archive in the evenings has resulted in a find I'd forgotten I had - an old article from the Sun-Sentinal newspaper of Broward & Palm Beach, Florida in the in the USA on the Highlander range. It firms up the companies start date to 1976 and reveals an interesting plan for foreign troops!

An old newspaper cutting scanned from the Sun-Sentinel, Thursday, September 23rd, 1976 and showing an interior designer called Billy MaCarty with a couple of figures, probably bronzes, in the background.
On the reverse of the article is another puff-piece (I think the 'C' suffixed pages are the 1970's equivalent of 'weekend' or 'magazine' pages?), this one on a Floridan called Billy McCarty who's reported to be in the UK doing interior design, well, if anybody designed that for me I'd beat him to death with a carrot, slowly.**

But there are a couple of military looking brasses involved in the 'make-over' a knight or conquistador type on the mantle-shelf, and something unclear which might be Caesar at Calais pointing vaguely at Eastbourne and saying "Let's go there...", on the quite small coffee table.

But it's funny - figures on both sides of a page from a 42-year-old newspaper!

** I'm joking - I would probably just sue them for emotional distress! Sadly he has passed away

No comments: