About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, August 17, 2018

F is for Flogging The Arse Out Of It!

Not really a rack-toy in that they are shelf-sitter's (try saying that after a beer!), but priced as rack-toys and made by a rack-toy producer with product from their actual rack-toy hangers, and only to prove a point - already made.

1 Blue Box Toys Hand Painted Mobile Combat Team Series 77643 Plastic Figures 30mm DSCN8873 30mm Toy Figures; 30mm Toy Soldiers; Boxed Toy; Carded Toy; Combat Team; Erwin Sell Make It Up; Female Soldier; French Resistance; Made in Hong Kong; Maquis; Rack Toy; Rack Toy Month; Resistance Fighters; RTM; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tai Sang Toys; View of tub full of toy soldier boxed sets
What's this down the bottom of a tub (currently being rained-on as I write! It's waterproof and sited temporarily); looks interesting, let's get them out . . .

30mm Toy Figures; 30mm Toy Soldiers; Boxed Toy; Carded Toy; Combat Team; Erwin Sell Make It Up; Female Soldier; French Resistance; Made in Hong Kong; Maquis; Rack Toy; Rack Toy Month; Resistance Fighters; RTM; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tai Sang Toys; 2 Blue Box Toys Hand Painted Mobile Combat Team Series 77643 Plastic Figures 30mm DSCN8874 Close up of both sets togther
. . . oh, look . . . it's those Blue Box 30mm French Resistance Fighters you-know-who (make-it-ups-man) stated - more than once - didn't exist, or only existed in 50mm (which they don't!).

Selling for the princely sum of 39¢ across the pond, and two-shillings & eleven pence over here (.21p 'ish?), the backing card (and positioning of the product elements) is the same for both sets, but the actual container is quite different.

3 Blue Box Toys Hand Painted Mobile Combat Team Series 77643 Plastic Figures 30mm DSCN8875 30mm Toy Figures; 30mm Toy Soldiers; Boxed Toy; Carded Toy; Combat Team; Erwin Sell Make It Up; Female Soldier; French Resistance; Made in Hong Kong; Maquis; Rack Toy; Rack Toy Month; Resistance Fighters; RTM; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tai Sang Toys; Box ends photographed in close-up
The US-priced one (they [card/window] were available over here too) being a pretty standard window-box, opening both ends, while the UK-priced one is a plastic fold-up with the inner tray/backing-card slipped in. I have quite a few of these, and when I get my teeth back into Blue Box we'll have a look at all of them in grater detail.

As US pricing tended to be cheaper than the UK in the '50's and 60's (often still is!) and as I don't think it was ever quite two-dollars-to-the-pound (except maybe for a day or two in a crisis of some sort), I'm guessing . . . assuming . . . presuming . . . the UK version is the slightly later issue? Many-thanks to James Opie for the upper one and we looked at the individual figures here with a follow-up here.

5 comments:

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Sadly my grenade thrower is lost from my childhood set and the truck! I had forgotten the truck! Essentially a smaller, plastic, version of the Dinky truck.

Hugh Walter said...

Bedford RL Ross, I did cover both it and the MK way back when, but will be revisiting them both at some point!

Both Bundgie/Kemlow's and Hornby/Dinky with 'Dublo' did the RL (which soldiered-on in my day with some REMF-units!), so either could be the donor, but I think you're right in it being from Binns Road!

H

Terranova47 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gisby said...

I always like seeing 'Blue Box' posts.

Does anyone else remember the particularly strong smell of the Blue Box styrene? I never smelled the like on any other toy or model.

Hugh Walter said...

Gisby - I opened the tub and it came wafting out like chemical ambrosia!

Terranove - I accidentally deleted your comment and can't restore it? Sorry! Yes! - anachronisms are one of the features of 'true' rack-toys!

H