About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, January 19, 2020

L is for Lovely Read

As a complete contrast to the recent disappointment of Toiati's magnum doorstepus, here's another personal journey through toy soldiers which is very readable and really quite charming.

My Toy Soldiers & Me
by Alejo Dorca

Truthfully it's more about war-gaming that the title or cover may suggest but as the author has spent the last ten or so years converting some of his armies from 25/28mm (which he happily lumps together with none of that tape-measure-nazi stuff you find elsewhere in the genre) to 65mm Geobra Playmobile, and has always also gamed in 54mm; it's actually pretty eclectic!

It also reminds me somewhat of 2006's Achtung Schweinehund!; Harry Pearson's memoir of war gaming, albeit without Mr. P's easy use of prose and humour, honed through years in journalism. But that doesn’t mean this book is humourless or bland, it's not, it's a delightful and erudite read, which can be accomplished in one sitting, or dipped into.

If I have one criticism, it's that it's not until you get to the end of it that you realise all the photo-captions are at the back! A second read is consequently much clearer, and you lose the only major criticism you were saving for reviews like this! I understand that an earlier edition was un-illustrated which explains the quirk slightly.

It's funny, you can easily write two-thousand words on a bad book, just pick a chapter and inspect it, but a good book doesn't leave you with the same wide arc-of-fire, so  . . . it's a good book, worth a read and I'd recommend it; I am recommending it!

It won't help you with research much, but you know those moments when you fancy a couple of hours of quiet-time, just you and a coffee, or something stronger, under the big lamp in the corner by the window, fire (or radiator) with a good read - this is one of the ones you will go back-to, for that read.

And it may have stuff to help newer war-gamers - my knowledge of the subject isn't good enough to be more definite - as there are basic and starter rules and a scenario or two among the anecdotes and tips on this and that, all delivered in a modest style - he keeps reminding the reader they don't have to take his advice, nor do as he does or not pay the slightest notice of his last thought!

A genuine little treasure this one and self-published; ISBN 13: 978-99920-3-112-4 it's on Amazonnow - My Toy Soldiers & Me, byAlejo Dorca, published in 2016, get it before it's gone, because I think it may well go!

No comments: