About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, October 27, 2020

B is for Box-ticking Barges

In some of the several Egyptian posts we've had this year half by accident (working with what Peter Evans sent to the Blog) and half by design (the stuff I subsequently purchased) to compare, complete or because they were dirt-cheap (the disappointing pens), which actually didn't disappoint as I expected them to disappoint, so they met expectations; we saw the odd piece of Atlantic HO giving size/scale to things, and in the getting-out and putting-away for photographs I found a bag of painted stuff from somewhere-somewhen, we're going to look at them now!

1505 Boats on the Nile; 1:72nd; 1:76th - 1:72nd; 1:76th Scale; Atlanitc Boats On The Nile; Atlanitic Ships; Atlantic; Atlantic Boats; Atlantic Egyptians; Atlantic Set; Atlantic Set 1505; Atlantic Toy Soldiers; Atlantic Vessels; Egyptian Boats; Egyptian Model Figures; Egyptian Ships; Egyptian Toy Figures; Egyptian Toy Soldiers; Egyptian Vessels; HO - OO Figures; Pharaoh's Army; Pharaoh's barge; Pharaoh's Court; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
The two barges from set 1505 Boats on the Nile, there was a larger Pharaoh's barge with set-sail and covered throne-canopy-thing, these are the more workaday vessels plying their trade up and down the Nile from the Mediterranean to Sudan.

The box shows oarsman but I'm not sure I've ever seen them, I certainly don't have them and it seems to be a complete sets otherwise, have you ever seen them? There are plug-ins on the lager vessel in the other set but they don't seem to have oars either? The curse of art room pre-publicity photographs/artwork again I suspect (think Airfix Polish Lancers or Esci Carthaginians!).

1505 Boats on the Nile; 1:72nd; 1:76th - 1:72nd; 1:76th Scale; Atlanitc Boats On The Nile; Atlanitic Ships; Atlantic; Atlantic Boats; Atlantic Egyptians; Atlantic Set; Atlantic Set 1505; Atlantic Toy Soldiers; Atlantic Vessels; Egyptian Boats; Egyptian Model Figures; Egyptian Ships; Egyptian Toy Figures; Egyptian Toy Soldiers; Egyptian Vessels; HO - OO Figures; Pharaoh's Army; Pharaoh's barge; Pharaoh's Court; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
Both together; these are OBE's as far as painting goes, I picked them up like this as part of a Job lot some time ago, but I can't remember where/when. basically reed-vessels with a sun-shade/cabin.

The two swan-necked finials at port and stern are plug-ins and don't line up terribly well with the hull, or not smoothly as they would if they were tied-in reed bundles, but then; beggars can't be choosers and it was hard to credit anyone issuing Egyptian warships, in small-scale, in the 1980's, and the fact they didn't go with anything on the market - time-wise - was irrelevant!

1505 Boats on the Nile; 1:72nd; 1:76th - 1:72nd; 1:76th Scale; Atlanitc Boats On The Nile; Atlanitic Ships; Atlantic; Atlantic Boats; Atlantic Egyptians; Atlantic Set; Atlantic Set 1505; Atlantic Toy Soldiers; Atlantic Vessels; Egyptian Boats; Egyptian Model Figures; Egyptian Ships; Egyptian Toy Figures; Egyptian Toy Soldiers; Egyptian Vessels; HO - OO Figures; Pharaoh's Army; Pharaoh's barge; Pharaoh's Court; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
They came with a complete army, painted by the same guy I think, although with more detail he has done a fine job, compared to the basic blocking-in of the boats. A complete set also contains a full Pharaoh's Court runner, which I may have sorted into their section, or the seller may have split-away or kept them?

I particularly like the rendering of the Nubian's/Sudanese/Southern Tribesmen; I have an old Humbrol Authenticolour paint-tin called Polished Leather, and it is one of my favourite paints, a semi-gloss or silk (you have to let it dry overnight) it's brilliant for dark-skin, horse-hair, wagon-details, baggage straps, rifle slings, puddles (puddled), oil-stains (thinned-down), all sorts, I don't know what I'll do when it runs out!

That's it, ancient Egyptians, vessels, Atlantic - boxes ticked, because . . . by accident - it's been a bit of an 'Egyptian Year' here at Small Scale World!

2 comments:

Alexis Christodoulou said...

This is a great blogg

Hugh Walter said...

Thanks, Alexis, glad you found something useful or entertaining!

H