About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, March 11, 2021

W is for Well Now! That's Interesting!

It's nice to put a question to bed, even when it was more of a mystery than a full question-mark, but in this case it probably should have been flagged-up as more of a full question-mark to begin with!

We looked at the - technically - Air Force, cold-war figures from Deluxe Reading/Topper Toys just over two years ago here, at which time I mused that the orange ones might be Politoys output in Italy (who apparently handled the sculpts), but it turns out . . .

50mm Airforce; Air Force; Airforce Figures; Bagged Toy; Beach Toys; Carded Toy; Combat Unit; De Luxe Reading; Deluxe Reading; Islin Thomas; Made in England; Plastic Airmen; Plastic Toy Air Forces; Poplar Plastics; Rocket Base USA; Rocket Troops; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Taffy Toys; Thomas Toys; TN Thomas; TNT; Topper Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures;
. . . they were Thomas Toys! I'm not getting it out of the bag until I find a second one, but I can assure you it's the same figures, with a Jeep which is also not the well-known Thomas-Taffy-Poplar design, but neither do I believe it's Deluxe Reading? If nothing else it's a better sculpt than the hiddeosity which accompanies the Deluxe Reading GI's!

50mm Airforce; Air Force; Airforce Figures; Bagged Toy; Beach Toys; Carded Toy; Combat Unit; De Luxe Reading; Deluxe Reading; Islin Thomas; Made in England; Plastic Airmen; Plastic Toy Air Forces; Poplar Plastics; Rocket Base USA; Rocket Troops; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Taffy Toys; Thomas Toys; TN Thomas; TNT; Topper Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures;
There are no visible marks on the Jeep (which is way over-scale at about 1:24th) to help ID the supplier, or to suggest it might have been a late design of Thomas themselves - which nevertheless remains a possibility?

The suspicion is that Deluxe Reading here in the UK ran the tool in orange polymer as the contract manufacturer for the figures, while - possibly - a third party provided the Jeep, the whole being a typical beach toy; sandcastles; for the use of, as marketed by Thomas?

50mm Airforce; Air Force; Airforce Figures; Bagged Toy; Beach Toys; Carded Toy; Combat Unit; De Luxe Reading; Deluxe Reading; Islin Thomas; Made in England; Plastic Airmen; Plastic Toy Air Forces; Poplar Plastics; Rocket Base USA; Rocket Troops; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Taffy Toys; Thomas Toys; TN Thomas; TNT; Topper Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures;
The card looks old, but the figures - as Deluxe - soldiered-on into the 1970's long after Alden Industries took over Thomas's US operation (if they [the figures] were even available when Thomas were around?), meaning either that Thomas UK carried on for a while (I don't have the relevant Plastic Warrior guide in front of me!) or Poplar (who did a lot of this sea-side stuff) continued to use the brand-mark?

Note that the TNT mark reads;

NTT

"Blue-Box" Toys; 30mm Sailors; Air Force; Airforce Figures; Blue Box; De Luxe Reading; Deluxe Reading; Made in England; Made In Singapore; Old Plastic Soldiers; Plastic Toy Sailors; Redbox; Rocket Troops; Secret Missiles Base; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tai Sang Toys; Topper Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers;
While I've had the Deluxe Reading's out, it struck me that the Blue Box 'Secret Missiles Base' figures are also copies of or based on the Deluxe' figures, but being (above) more like the navy guys from the smaller scale range, although this set on Moonbase Central had closer copies of the Air Force ones, also with the flesh painted-in.

"Blue-Box" Toys; 30mm Sailors; Air Force; Airforce Figures; Blue Box; De Luxe Reading; Deluxe Reading; Made in England; Made In Singapore; Old Plastic Soldiers; Plastic Toy Sailors; Redbox; Rocket Troops; Secret Missiles Base; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tai Sang Toys; Topper Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers;
The Singapore mark would tie them into one of at least two Blue Box factories in the island nation, but a lot of the Redbox farm and zoo sets tend to carry a Singapore mark, so using the Tai Sang parent for attribution might be safer . . . now we know they all shared the same chairman for over fifty years despite the best efforts of the PSTSM to say otherwise by inventing a whole port/facility!

2 comments:

Chris Smith said...

Hello Hugh. Interesting lovely set. I remember being bought from a seaside kiosk a large scale jeep with two of these orange figures circa 1980 on a family holiday in Hemsby while staying in a chalet in the dunes (Chalet = wooden prefab, I think the last of these has been lost to the sea this winter) My jeep was different as it was opened bottomed, know it came in a header bag but can't remember what the card looked like. I think your example would predate the one I had. Jeep is long gone as was one of the figures that disappeared after I had some friends over to play a little while after. But I still have the figure talking on the field phone pointing, one of only three figures I still have from my childhood. The other two being very battered stained paint style Deetail British Infantry.

Hugh Walter said...

Chris - cheers for that . . . and to be honest; the card looks older for having been damp and the staples rusting, late 1970's it what I was looking at, and I suspect Poplar took the IP of Thomas and is probably behind mine and yours?

On the subject of the figures, I can - as you can see - probably spare several? I'll get them off to you! I'm drowning in jiffy-bags at the moment I have them all in a large orange-crate!

H