About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, June 18, 2021

A is for Atomic . . . Space Ship

You may recall we looked at this beast before (ten years ago, where does it go . . . WHERE?), a contribution from an anonymous follower of the Blog, at the time he had some space-battle damage to one of them but has since sourced a whole one, so sent a follow-up here to Small Scale World.

Not much to add to these as we have looked at them before, and I was going to save the shots for a 'pulp' season at some point, but thought I'd try to clear some of the contributed stuff now, and so when I do return to dime-store space, hopefully use all the images 'in the bank' in better context?

Atomic Space Ship; Dime Store Space Ships; Dime Store Toy; Dime Store Vehicles; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Spaceships; Kleeware; Kleeware Spaceship; Pocket Money Toys; Pulp Sci Fi; Pulp Space Ships; Pyro Dime Store; Pyro Plastics; Pyro Toys; Slush-cast; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Clipper; Space Liner; Tudor Rose; Tudor Rose Space Toys;

Atomic Space Ship; Dime Store Space Ships; Dime Store Toy; Dime Store Vehicles; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Spaceships; Kleeware; Kleeware Spaceship; Pocket Money Toys; Pulp Sci Fi; Pulp Space Ships; Pyro Dime Store; Pyro Plastics; Pyro Toys; Slush-cast; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Clipper; Space Liner; Tudor Rose; Tudor Rose Space Toys;

Atomic Space Ship; Dime Store Space Ships; Dime Store Toy; Dime Store Vehicles; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Space Ships; Dimestore Spaceships; Kleeware; Kleeware Spaceship; Pocket Money Toys; Pulp Sci Fi; Pulp Space Ships; Pyro Dime Store; Pyro Plastics; Pyro Toys; Slush-cast; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Clipper; Space Liner; Tudor Rose; Tudor Rose Space Toys;

Largest of the single-moulding (plus wheels) vessels, the Atomic Space Ship was a convoluted pile of three aerodynamic buses, piled on two V2 rockets, given a subway car front and four huge afterburners at the rear! Sort of what I said last time but possibly more prosaic . . . time's tighter this time!

Like most of the contemporary space ships it was carried by more than one company (Pyro too?) and while these are  both Tudor Rose, even these two are not quite the same, the silver one having a thicker chin-line or skirting below the forward cab and thinner window-bars on the three upper sections, which - finding these differences - is half the fun of collecting!

Cheers Anon' - you know who you are!

7 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

For some reason your spaceships remind me of Flash Gordan.

Hugh Walter said...

They're not mine Jan - I wish! I think they do hanker after that period, Flash Gordan, Buck Rogers, Captain's Future and Video, Winco Condar, Zip O'Daly, Swift Morgan . . . 1950's polymer nostalgia for 1930's 'Pulp' fiction!

H

jah said...

I hope its reason for the lack of posts is the good weather.

Hugh Walter said...

No Jah, I've said before; I'm busy sorting my late mother's estate and getting my stuff back into storage while i find somewhere permanent to live!

H

Anonymous said...

Well spotted those differences, Hugh. And indeed, the grey ones have number "1" embossed underneath, whereas the blue ones have "2", suggesting two different moulding machines used.

Hugh Walter said...

Or even the two tools clamped in a larger bolster for a single, one-shot cycle/turnover?

H

Anonymous said...

Could well be, but still two separate production lines I'd say, given the fixed colour/number combinations.