About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, June 5, 2021

O is for Once, I was a Soldier!

Your author, circa December 1984 . . .

 . . . looking so young! With everything that's happened in the last 24 months, it's almost as if it's not so much 'a lifetime ago', but several other people's lifetimes!

And, this is the only picture of me in uniform with badging to the Royal Hampshire's, as a few days after this was taken I was cross-posted to the Gloucestershire Regiment and completed my service with them. I was - a year later - offered a return to the R. Hamp's /asked to 're-badge' to the 'Glooms' but declined both options, which pissed my OC off, as while I was happy to serve-on as a Gloucester, and proud too, equally, I was born in Hampshire, lived my first 18-odd years in Hampshire and was recruited from the Channel Islands which was the 'Tigers' area, so my Private's logic rather collided with the Major's view of how things should be done to keep the paperwork clean!

I don't think the Russians lost much sleep over the prospect of meeting me on the North European Plain, do you? But, there's a determination in those eyes . . . or is it more of a "Shit, I actually passed basic'!"?

4 comments:

jah said...

Yes I see a dont like it up blade now we know why the cold war never got hot any Russkie seeing you like that would think more than twice before starting anything.

Hugh Walter said...

Hahaha! Yes, Captain Mainwaring . . . they don't like it up 'em! It had a satisfying weight and a nasty little hooked-end Jah!

H

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

To me there is a slight "deer in the headlights at night" look.

Odd now to think that I resigned my commission in 1981 for many reasons but one being that there weren't going to be any more wars. A year later I was following the brief reports of the Falklands affair.....

Hugh Walter said...

I fear you're right Ross! In basic' there is a need to do and say exactly what you are told, and the whole platoon (50-odd) in in a queue out of shot, with four NCO's and a photographer all telling us what to do!

I was late for the Argie's and got out before Kuwait, although I volunteered through the TA, but they only wanted drivers and medics and I was neither! And after it turned into a rather distasteful turkey-shoot on the Basra highway I was glad I wasn't associated with any of it!

I would have liked to have served in the Former Yugoslavia, that was a worthy enterprise, if a bit 'hands-tied' and we came close to making friends with the Russians . . .

H