About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, June 12, 2022

T is for Two - Tinny-tin Tins from Tinslyvania!

Or; N is for Nostalgia - Look what I found! There's actually all sorts of stuff coming out of the woodwork, and not just from my late Mother's effects, I've started finding stuff I've not seen since it went into storage, or even things I couldn't remember having! But here's two tins, which are interesting for very different reasons, a third title could have been F is for From the Sublime to the Ridiculous!

My Grandfather's Princess Mary's Christmas Fund tin, 1914, not exactly rare, but some of the prices on feeBay, for poorer examples, suggests this is worth a half-dozen of your Herald swoppet knights, on horseback, equally, you can find copies for 15 or 20-quid! Issued to various groups and tranches of service men and women from 1914 onward, I won't bore you with the whole tale; you can read it all here - IWM.

The contents of Granddad's tin; the pipe has been used, and I guess the longer stem was his own and just kept in the tin as  a spare/fall-back? The tobacco pouch is missing, along with the photo's seen in the above link, but I know I've seen the little one of Princess Mary, and possibly the one of the King and Queen, while sorting so we will return to this as I reassemble it more fully in the future.

Indeed I know I have the bullet-pencil in my own collection (and always wondered whose 'cap badge' it was - it was sold to me by the late Eddie Audsley - vintage tool expert - as Trench-Art), the cards are in the envelope and we'll look at them in a minute, but the piece of scrap-metal is more interesting.

A direct translation of the German Brennstoft Übernahmevent is 'fuel takeover event' which I suspect transliterates to fuel cut-off valve? Something like that; fuel safety valve, and presumably came from an enemy vessel? But who's and when? 

Granddad served first on HMS London supporting the ANZAC landings in the Dardanelles ('Gallipoli'), where gunboat activity is known to have occurred, and mostly (early) German vessels re-flagged to the Ottoman's but with German crews or - at the least - German officers?

Equally there was activity in the Mediterranean in support of the Italian fleet, where again Motor Torpedo Boats and Motor Gunboats played a part on all sides, while the final hostilities of that period was Granddad's apparent participation (vessel currently unknown) in the Russian campaign of 1919, where both (all!) sides lost, captured or sank motorboats which might have been supplied by Germany, or taken from them in 1918?

And I'm only looking toward the smaller vessels as they would be most likely to have fuel cut-off valves (or their labels) easy to hand for a quick removal with a sharp implement for keepsake/trophy purposes?

The cigarette packet is quite small, now . . . I wondered if that was for space, or budget, but suspect they were often (even commonly?) smaller than the ones we are used to now, filters weren't introduced widely until after the Second World War, but it's about a half of the mass of a modern pack of filterless Camels - which this author has had cause to persevere-with, in the past, when filtered ones weren't around!

The two cards; and two points of note; firstly while the 1915 card is shown on the above Imperial War Museum link (and in the excellent primer - Tommy’s War: British Military Memorabilia 1914-1918 by Peter Doyle), neither source explains how a second (or subsequent?) card/s was/were issued/received once the recipient had been given his or her 2014 tin. Now I get that if your tin was one of the late ones, you might get a card for whichever year you received it, but how did you get a second, and why do they all seem to be '14 or '15, where are '16 and 1917 cards?

The other point is a bit darker, the dropping of 'Happy Christmas' from the later card; clearly someone pointed out, to the committee organising the fund, that it was impossible to have a happy Christmas under fire in a trench full of mud, rats and body-parts? Or on an Atlantic convoy looking for submarines which were looking for you, in an ice-storm? So the epithet was shortened to 'Victory' wishes only!

Anyway, that's the sublime, now I'll lower the tone considerably, with the ridiculous!

I found this in the garage; modern archeology -  Knickers in a Tin! I vaguely remember Mum's rather flighty Canadian friend Janet (of Perrier premium fame) giving it to her for a laugh one Christmas when we were quite little (Janet also took Playgirl magazine!), and it became a staple of my Mother's breakdown-kit, moving from car to car, and thence, eventually, to a damp garage where the conditions have faded all but the British Knickers, so I can't tell who made it, or when, but I think you can still get such stuff in Anne Summers or other adult outlets, as Stag or Hen gifts?

Realising it was to all intents and purposes gash now, I took the trusty army tin-opener to it, to finally reveal the supposed risqué contents . . .

. . . only to find slightly twee knickers, with a Union flag overprint on some indestructible faux-silk, metallic blue, granny-pants! What's left of the tin will be weighed-in with the next lot of scrap metal and the knickers have already gone to the clothing bank! More tins to come.

No comments: