About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Ph is for Yada yada yada . . .

Yep! Phidel again! Now I've got a system for finding them quickly they are turning-up everywhere, and when I say 'system', like some secret squirrel, it's quite simple, look for the logo!

The Phidel logo is a largish rainbow-coloured swirl of pastel P's, usually on a darker background than the above, which is easy to spot among all the tat in the kiddie's section of charity shops, whether among the board games, the books or the general toys.

With each charity shop or chain having a very different look or set-up, it's the easiest way to do it, just run your eyes over the shelves looking for the logo and if you spot it, check the spine text for My First... or My Busy if you also see ...Stick-on, ...Magnet or ...Puzzle you can ignore; the My Busy Books (with an 's') is where you'll find the pay-dirt!

A pound each, one was mint (Peanuts) the other a bit of a mess, but adding to the whole, the books gone to recycling before I'd got home, hence their being photographed on the verge . . . well otherwise it's like carrying half the Encyclopedia Britannica around for the rest of the afternoon!

One pocket got a mint set of Peanuts, nice, would never have bought them new, but now they ticked-off the lists, mental and real, and box-ticked here - favorites above, rest below.

They were a bit chewy for peanuts, but I got them all down! And I love how the kennel finally explains why Snoopy never got chronic back-pain; I always imagined he was balanced on the knife-edged ridge of a pitched roof!

The other pocket got what was covering for the frozen set, which was different from the previous one (also a part set - it's the male characters and the moose who keep going AWOL!), with smaller characters - I think I mentioned seeing it somewhere on-line the other day?

And I'm not sure if these are all from the set, nor if one of the trees might be from a second set? The girl with the purple cape won't stand-up and has to be propped so I suspect this is an older set, and things/designs have improved with better bases or chunkier, balanced figures?

This is actually quite useful, it would be OK for 28mm role play, or as a larger sled with a 2/3-man bench-seat (for towing by a light-tank or half-track) for WWII 'Ost Front' winter war games in 1:76th, put an AA-mount on the wind-cowl/arm-rest at the front, couple more guys on the back . . . bob's your uncle! It even has a ski-stick stowed down the side!

Picture 5

See 'Q is for Question Time' - published five minutes before this post (below) for what was picture five (it's now picture six but - hey-ho!) and its blurb.

No comments: