About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Q is for Question Time - Star Wars Siblings?

These are a puzzle, they are clearly knock-off's of Applause Star Wars, but they (man and woman) both seem to be based on the one pose . . . Princess Leia Organa née Skywalker in her . . . errr . . . not even sure when or if she ever actually wore the outfit in a movie; some corridor scene in III-now-VI?

1996 Applause; 1996 Star Wars; Applause 1996; Applause Star Wars; Board Game; Buck Rogers in the 25th Century; Game Playing Pieces; Han Solo; Knock Offs; Leia Organa; Leia Skywalker; Luke Skywalker; Organa née Skywalker; Princess Leia; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars; Star Wars Figurines; Star Wars Knock Offs; Star Wars Toys; Unknown Toy Figures;
The Applause original is inset for comparison, she's almost more whatshername from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century . . . Dareling, Darling, Darring?  The Applause base has been copied albeit smaller, and the guy is virtually the same but with sorter, sensible hair and a less-lumpy shirt!

I sent them to Brian over at Plaid Stallions and he fed them to his forum, but nothing came back? I wonder if they might be characters from a board game, with maybe a red and green (or other colours) undershirt versions out there somewhere. And whether a board game or not, are they another Applause product, as the PVC is very similar, and there's no rule against copying your own stuff.

1996 Applause; 1996 Star Wars; Applause 1996; Applause Star Wars; Board Game; Buck Rogers in the 25th Century; Game Playing Pieces; Han Solo; Knock Offs; Leia Organa; Leia Skywalker; Luke Skywalker; Organa née Skywalker; Princess Leia; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Star Wars; Star Wars Figurines; Star Wars Knock Offs; Star Wars Toys; Unknown Toy Figures;
The other obvious suspicion is some cheapo rack-toy as they are painted in the same vein as all those carded princes and princesses you find - we've seen one or two here over the years?

Other questions include; is the male supposed to be Luke Skywalker (or Han Solo) or are neither of them meant to have anything to do with that particular galaxy, far, far away, long, long ago? Or - if they are game-playing pieces -are there more of one sex; say, four guys versus one girl or vice-versa, or are they supposed to be paired (boy/girl) in like-colours?

Note how the man hasn't been trusted with a wristwatch! Someone must know these as the Applause set was only 1996, so they (the copies) can't be that old, do you recognise them?

2 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Hey Hugh,

Now this is interesting, As I have I believe, a full set of the applause PVC's comprising a boxed set with display stand and several individual pieces. Now my thinking given the range of available characters it seems odd that the Leia was adapted to make a male character unless that was the only figure the maker had. The Leia is in her Rebel uniform from 'Return Of The Jedi' My thinking is Knock-off rather than game piece, certainly I have not seen any game using this piece in all my Star Wars collecting years. Having just checked my 'Tomarts Price Guide to Worldwide Star Wars Collectibles' there were a total of 16 PVC'S produced overall but no sign of a game using them that I can see.

Hugh Walter said...

Hi Steve - You've got more than I had, and now you've shared it with everyone - I thank you!

I had a little eveilBay lot arrive today, with the Applause Leia, so when I get a mo' I will do a side-by-side follow-up shot, the copy is much smaller - from memory?

H