About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, October 24, 2019

T is for Two - Cantonieres . . . Cantinières . . . Canteniers?

Not to be confused with Cantonniers (two 'n's) who are road workers (on railways?) or Cantonnières who are the feminine type, but not necessarily female, just confused! Those flibbertigibbets with a barrel of booze who follow armies, anyway!

A real Picasa clearer, or more accurately Picasa sorter-out, as removing four images is a slow way of emptying the laptop, but it does unify two related items and gets them gone! The one having been hanging around since 2012, intended for another Blogger, but I never got his email and he seems to have stopped blogging now, the other a recent find?

15mm Toy Figure; 54mm Toy Figure; Altaya; Austerlitz; Barrel of Booze; Canteen Lady; Canteniers; Cantinières; Cantonieres; Cantonnières; Cantonniers; CGB Minot; deAgostini; Del Prado; Eaglemoss-AMC; flibbertigibbets; French; Hachette; Hungary; Lead Toy Figres; Ocean in China; Portuguese; Relive Waterloo; SC Content Media; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Soldiers And Strategy Revealed In Miniature; Soldiers And Strategy Revisited In Miniature; Spanish; Whitemetal Figurines;
This is the older one, I suspect a French piece (CGB Minot?), solid, 54mm and on a substantial base, she could just as easily be a home-painted casting of more recent origin (post-1960's), she's a useful paperweight if nothing else, but quite nicely 'drawn' and well painted in a 'toy soldier' style -  semi-matt though. I can't explain why, but she looks more Portuguese than French to me? However; I went with the tricolour for the frame-boarder!

Thanks to Adrian at Mercator Trading (link) for letting me shoot her . . . with a camera, seven years ago!

15mm Toy Figure; 54mm Toy Figure; Altaya; Austerlitz; Barrel of Booze; Canteen Lady; Canteniers; Cantinières; Cantonieres; Cantonnières; Cantonniers; CGB Minot; deAgostini; Del Prado; Eaglemoss-AMC; flibbertigibbets; French; Hachette; Hungary; Lead Toy Figres; Ocean in China; Portuguese; Relive Waterloo; SC Content Media; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Soldiers And Strategy Revealed In Miniature; Soldiers And Strategy Revisited In Miniature; Spanish; Whitemetal Figurines;
This one ought to be the easier for me to ID but it isn't! Del Prado did a part-work set over here 'Relive Waterloo' which may have had a canteen lady (I'm not falling for that mess in the title!) in the higher numbers (126 issues meant over 750-quid for the whole 'work'), but I bailed-out after about issue 15?

The card here is in Spanish or Portuguese (I don't pretend to know either, but can muddle through the context of a text; here - soldiers and strategy revisited (or revealed) in miniature?), and while Del Prado did other sets similar to the Waterloo set - possibly from the website - in France (Austerlitz) and maybe Spain and deAgostini, Altaya, (also Spanish) Atlas (mostly Corgi products?) Eaglemoss-AMC, Hachette, SC Content Media (Hungary, using Ocean in China) and others (that US/Australian one) have issued figures as part-works in various sizes, I can't place this one.

Also she's a little closer to a 15mm scale (or HO's 18mm?), even for a young woman (as you can see from the Airfix pilot, even the pony/mule is a bit small), so - does anyone know the origin of this small, whitemetal, carded for a part-work, moustachioed canteen lady? I shot it last month, but it may have been in the storage-lot I did for RTM, in which case - probably dating from the 2010's or earlier?

No comments: