About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

P is for Paint Your Own Unicorns

From the cover you'd be forgiven for thinking this was going to be wetter that the Princesses, someone in the marketing office came to the same conclusion, with the result the models have been put on the cover, which is useful!

Of the four sets today though; this is both the best of sets and the worst of sets, but it's all marginal!

Same as the others - only different!

Same as the others etc...

So, to 'the best of sets'; these are some of the nicest Unicorns out there, dense PVC with all the properties of polyethylene, they are anatomically horse-like, with fine detail well moulded. However; there appears to be only three poses with the first and third being the same.

It's hard to tell from the cover, but I think the one at the back left is a Photoshoped version of the one in front of it? I will check the remaining sets in the shop however just in case it's a mistake (as if they are different, or supposed to be; they are similar in every way; other than those two rear legs, and fit the shaped blister tray), yet, the box does state 4 unique models?

But also to 'the worst of sets'; the booklet has a collection of very simple games and puzzles, while the paints have two reds and two blues leaving little for wider artistic scope, but the 'projects' are all in the pallet of the cartoon artwork, so it's of no consequence if that's what you've bought them for!

Even the backdrop is the poorest of the four . . . won't stop me reusing it at some point!

As last! I would also point out that all the booklets have a separate RRP on the back cover, stating £4.99, so may be (or may have been) available separately somewhere at some point? With the whole set also RRP'd - to 12.99; two-for-ten-pounds are a bargain.

4 comments:

Terranova47 said...

Hugh, Could you give a scale for these Unicorns? It would be great to mount a Timpo US Cavalry trooper on one.

Hugh Walter said...

Sizes are given in the 3-O'clock poat....one minute away! It would probably be OK for said Timpo figure . . . you can have my duplicate if you like?

H

Terranova47 said...

Hold that thought Hugh. As yet these have not turned up in the NYC metro area as far as I know. The idea of paint it yourself may be un-American. Don't forget Green Armymen, Marx 54mm etc go unpainted here while in the UK we always reached for the paint pots as soon as we arrived home with new figures.

Hugh Walter said...

Will do, just let me know!

H