About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

A is for Around and About!

I've managed to find a few rack-toys in the last few months, and here's a few, one as a shelfie, just for fun, the others now in the stash, but not opened yet, one day some of them may be, but really, when it comes to the animals or dinosaurs, it's more about being able to ID 'unknowns' at some future date, than any need to get them out and set them up or play with them!
 
The shelfie, I think this was The Works, but it might have been Asda? Imported by PS Imports of Belfast, NI (so probably Asda?), I thought they were worth a shot, as we saw these years ago, as a net-bagged set from New York, courtesy of Brian B, and also - the tug - as a miniature capsule-toy type, with possibly an archive shot, yet here they are again, a probably 1960's 'dimestore' design (or tool?) still turning-up as new, decades after they first came to market. It was a non-chain discount store in Aldershot.




Three bags of those larger, hollow, two-part soft, polyethylene/hybrid plastic animals, the dinosaurs look familiar, but I suspect not because we've seen them branded before, but there may have been some loose ones kicking around at some point, or the decoration is similar to others we've seen?
 
All three sets are imported by Kandy Toys, and are the modern equivalent of the old 'box scale' being more accurately 'unit price scale'! Found in a general/hardware or convenience store in Farnham of all places, I hope to visit the castle there in the next few days, and will check out the gift shop, but suspect (in conversation with Peter Evans the other day) it will all be Schleich/Papo or Westair/Ancestors?



While this is another BJ Toys set, found on my rounds, in a newsagent's over Fernhurst way, I think, a few weeks ago. Both solids, I thought they were rather good for what they are, with a good wing-area to body ratio making the dragon realistically airworthy, and the fantasy knight being toward the Schlich-Papo-ELC size at around 65/70mm, and maybe a copy of the same or similar - Wilkinson's/Wilco also had a nice range in the last few years of their existence.

No comments: