About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, August 13, 2024

T is for Two BJ's!

Hey, it was bound to happen one day! Nearly halfway through Rack Toy month and this may be as good as it gets! Driving round Surry Hills and Hampshire Villages (God's own real country), I get to visit a lot of the corner shops, where there is mostly disappointment these days!
 
Those which haven't been taken over by the big-six's 'local' outlets are either in smaller chains or have done supply deals with one of the big six (Tesco seems to be in a lot), and few have a toy rack, but when they do, it's either BJ or Red Deer, while they still exist in some form, Grossman (HGL) and Cornelius (Play Write) have changed radically since Covid struck, and Halsall (HTI) is mostly in larger stores now, doing bigger toys, like the Teamsters I keep shooting in TKMaxx and B&M.

As well as mostly being Red Deer or BJ, when you find rack toys, the only useful ones are either those already seen here at Small Scale World, or dinosaurs! So, these are two of them! Single bagged animals in that hollow, two-parts-glued synthetic rubber . . .
 
 
 . . . and a set of the hollow clip-together polyethylene types . We last saw these as a trio, in a yellowish/mustard base polymer, and only three animals to a set, with similar accessories.
 

Close-ups of the two larger models, both sets are out there now, there are about five sets of BJ Toys dinosaurs out there, including the set of mini monochromatic ones we've seen here before now, and others we may have seen here? And I've seen a third model in the green bags since purchasing these two.

No comments: