About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, August 18, 2024

P is for Pet Shop Parade!

Not that close to the core subject here, but they ARE figural! Previously called Nose T' Tail Pet Supplies, I shot these in the window of Hook Pet Supplies a month or so ago, while taking my break one evening, and they're worth a post!

Cotton-balls and crochet, glued onto a wooden maquette/former, these may have been produced closer to home, and are in a different scale to the poultry below, most of which is life-size'ish.
 






These are all enamel-painted tin-plate, and probably from China, Vietnam or possibly the Philippines, but could just as equally be Indian, or even French (especially that last, filigree-pierced one), they like their cocks and hens there (no pun intended, it's their national symbol), and probably the sort of thing you'd go to a shop fitter's catalogue for, although, equally, TKMaxx can carry stuff like this in the homeware section?
 

This is closer to taxidermy, but the feathers are glued over a former, the eyes and beak plastic, and the wattle is red felt.
 
Just a bit of fun . . . I have seen giant - probably fibreglass - cows on the roof of a barn near Alton, and a large calf of similar construction in the yard of another farm nearby, which I keep meaning to shoot, if/when I do, they'll appear here too!

No comments: