About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, June 15, 2018

Q is for Query - Coca-Cola Animal Flats?

I saw these in an otherwise nondescript bag of mixed animals in a charity shop the other day, and recognised them, but also didn't - if you know what I mean! Like the other set of animal flats I've posted here recently a couple of times, the originals of these are well known and well covered on the web, being the Coca-Cola/Fanta premiums. They were re-shot at some point in the same cream/off-white polystyrene, with thinner bases.

However these are in a softer yet dense polyethylene or polypropylene, and a more obvious darker grey than either of the off-whites of the Coke originals or my thinner based copies. I don't have much else on them hence the 'Q is for . . . ' title-bar, but would guess someone like Tom Smith for Christmas crackers, or something like Tupperware/Airfix cubes maybe, although the giraffe is tall, so maybe not cubes, a book with play-set, a simple zoo, something like that?

They are clean, only the four and came-in with some totally unrelated stuff - china vinyls for the most part and a Chinasuar! Indeed the newness of them and the post '97 nature of the rest of the bag could be a sign someone's been running the tool recently? I don't think so but you never know!

This shot shows the thinner base matching my styrene re-shots, the Coca-Cola ones had a heavier base with the company's logo or animals name (I can't remember) running round the edge. The water-buffalo however has a heavier base, more like the cola premiums. They are also lightly striated with a second colour's - black - streaks in the grey polymer.

No comments: