About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, August 1, 2019

C is for CharlyKit; Dulcop's Pocket Swoppets!

As we seem to be in Italy today! Only a brief one but hopefully interesting, and definitely one of the more important 'bricks in the wall' of our hobby or what we do, even if you - specifically - don't collect the novelties or action figure types.

And . . . I Know; it should be the first day of Rack Toy Month, but I've so much non-rack-toy in the queue I forgot, but there's lots of RTM posts as well, so it'll all happen, I just don't know what order . . . then there's PW and Toy Fair posts!


Cane; CGGC; CharleyKit; Charly Kit; CharlyKit; Dulcop; Dulcop Minifigs; Dulcop Plastic Figures; Grisoni; Kinder Figurines; Kinder Minifigs; Pop Together Toys; Popetts; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
Dulcop's CharlyKit; little pop-together figurines, they would later be supplied to Kinder, and were much copied by other people both in Hong Kong and Europe (specifically Soviet-Russia) and in various sizes, although they may have themselves been influenced by Playmobile/Little People? Seemingly aimed at a 'pocket-money' market and similar to Spain's sobres, this appears to be an attempt by Dulcop to nick some of Cane/Grisoni (CGGC)'s market-share.

There are at least 12 different versions listed on the box, and it's all down to plastic colours and the 'tool' or accessory-runner, which has a hat/headdress and couple of accessories for the otherwise identical figures, each of which have eight points of articulation, once they're put-together.

Cane; CGGC; CharleyKit; Charly Kit; CharlyKit; Dulcop; Dulcop Minifigs; Dulcop Plastic Figures; Grisoni; Kinder Figurines; Kinder Minifigs; Pop Together Toys; Popetts; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
As I say; I don't know who came first CharlyKit or Playmobile, but I'm sure both pre-date Lego Minifigs, which make the awards the Toy Industry have given Lego for their Minifigs a bit of a mystery, but then they've had similar awards for the bricks they stole from Hestair Kiddycraft, so a pattern developing there I think!

As well as Kinder and Hong Kong I have a feeling I've seen these copied in Russian packaging from the tail-end of the Soviet-era . . . mid-1980's?

4 comments:

Jan Ferris said...

Cute little Waldo like character; skiver!

Hugh Walter said...

Hummmm......I'm not sure waiting for your father to pass-away is exactly 'skiving' but I know what you mean Jan, I've had a holiday from this monster I created!

Glad you liked the pics!
H

Anonymous said...

Hi Mr Walter Hugh,
Have you got any idea of the price of one box CharlyKit?
I've about 10/12 new boxes to sell.
Thank you.
David.B.

Hugh Walter said...

I haven't Dave no, I try to pay as little as possible for this stuff, but it can have a value, try a search under ebay.it, and use the completed function to see what they sell for?

H