About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, September 28, 2019

I is for Incomplete!

This set is missing one figure, but it's not clear from the book which one, I suspect a third green alien (which may have come in in one of the mixed lots in recent years, I seem to have dozens of these aliens in various sizes and materials), but Slinky the slinky sausage-dog, the wind-up walker binoculars (Lenny (the lenses - geddit!)) and Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head are also in the book.

Alien Novelty Toy; Army Men; Armymen; Buzz Lightyear; Dinosaur Models; Emperor Zurg; Jessie; Lenny; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; My First Toy Figure; Phidal Toy Story; PVC Figurines; Rex; Slinky; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ranger; Toy Story Toys; Woodie; Zurg Toy;
As each set only has the twelve items and with only one item missing the pair of spuds is probably out of the running but the hang-apart hound or novelty opera-glasses are still in the frame.

Alien Novelty Toy; Army Men; Armymen; Buzz Lightyear; Dinosaur Models; Emperor Zurg; Jessie; Lenny; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; My First Toy Figure; Phidal Toy Story; PVC Figurines; Rex; Slinky; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ranger; Toy Story Toys; Woodie; Zurg Toy;
However, my attempts to guess the missing item from what's illustrated in the Busy Book are thwarted rather by the fact that that the baddie (Emperor Zurg) and both 'Army Men' aren't in it at all! I could check Google but then I'd have no blurb as there's only so much you can say about 12-figure, booked-sets when you've already Blogged them umpteen times!

But, the point here; is very much . . . two more 'Tim Mee' type army men!

Alien Novelty Toy; Army Men; Armymen; Buzz Lightyear; Dinosaur Models; Emperor Zurg; Jessie; Lenny; My Busy Book; My Busy Books; My First Toy Figure; Phidal Toy Story; PVC Figurines; Rex; Slinky; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Space Ranger; Toy Story Toys; Woodie; Zurg Toy;
The current Phidal's tend to have only the licensee and a code, as a mark, thus;

© Disney (s18)

. . . the lowercase 's' is constant, I presume the numerals are the year-date? But, the above (whole back row), which are all Phidal like, but mostly baseless, are marked differently;

© Disney/Pixar DIS1301

. . .  yet with consistency across the range (so far they are all DIS1301) and are I suspect from earlier Phidal sets?

Anyway in the above we have signs of a previous Toy Story set, The Incredibles (there's a full-based one on the shops now), Monsters Inc., (or Monsters High?), one of the fish-ones and that belligerent babe we looked at in a Phidal Disney Princess set; Marida. The two 50mm's (Cat Woman and bloke) are newer 's'-something's and I think we've seen the whole set previously here at Small Scale World.

3 comments:

Spectrum Steve said...

Hey Hugh,

Can't get to my wife's busy book collection to check at the moment (currently archiving new stuff!)but if memory serves you are looking for the penguin character, who's name we can't remember.

Hope that helps.

Hugh Walter said...

To be honest Steve - it always helps when you comment! But I'll have to google the blighter, to sort him from any other pvc penguins there may be in the PVC TV/Movie - related unknown pile . . . which is scarily big!

Cheers
H

Hugh Walter said...

The next day - Initial efforts reveal the Gromit penguin 'Feathers McGraw' (without chicken-glove) is going to complicate things further!

H