About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, September 30, 2019

PW is for Replicants

I can't honestly remember when this was issued, I think it was the 20th Anniversary show at Queen Charlotte Hall in Richmond, the old venue for the annual Plastic Warrior show, but it might have been the 25th, or even earlier . . . the 10th?

10th Anniversary; 20th Anniversary; 25th Anniversary; Anniversary Figure; Boer War; Boer War 1899 - 1902; British Infantry; British Troops; Colonial Infantry; Colonial Toy Soldiers; Plastic Warrior Magazine; Plastic Warrior Show; PW 10th Show; PW 20th Show; PW 25th Show; PW Anniversary Figure; PW Magazine; PW Show; Replicants; Replicants Anniversary Figure; Replicants Plastic Figures; Replicants Toy Soldiers; Show Figure; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Zulu War;
Anyway, Peter Cole at Replicants who's enjoyed a close relationship with the PW crew was approached to make a figure which could be given-out with the entry ticket . . . or in lieu of an entry ticket as - and I think I'm right in saying - there's only ever been a hand stamp for those wishing to take a break from the plunder hall!

This is the chap, as issued, in a glorious blood-hiding scarlet polymer, a late 19thC colonial type, originally suggested as/for the Zulu war but suitable for painting in various uniforms; the afore-mentioned scarlet, colonial 'blues' or the later khaki and usable with Boers, Mad Mardi types or other ner'do'wells who may have objected to the rule of the Great White Queen!

10th Anniversary; 20th Anniversary; 25th Anniversary; Anniversary Figure; Boer War; Boer War 1899 - 1902; British Infantry; British Troops; Colonial Infantry; Colonial Toy Soldiers; Plastic Warrior Magazine; Plastic Warrior Show; PW 10th Show; PW 20th Show; PW 25th Show; PW Anniversary Figure; PW Magazine; PW Show; Replicants; Replicants Anniversary Figure; Replicants Plastic Figures; Replicants Toy Soldiers; Show Figure; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Zulu War;
The seller had several colours of pre-production prototypes or test-shots and I took one as far from the final figure as possible, although some were marbled red and green and I now wish I'd grabbed on of them as a third!

Interestingly, the figures are made of a harder plastic than the figures I'm now buying from Replicants (which are an 'Airfix' soft polyethylene) and knock together with more of a hardwood or hollow-bones sound.

Been around for some time and seen elsewhere, if not everywhere else, but the box needed ticking . . . and is now ticked!

3 comments:

Paul Morehead said...

It was for our 10th anniversary Hugh. Nearly 25 years ago!

Hugh Walter said...

I had a horrible suspicion it was! The time's just flying by!

Cheers
H

Paul Morehead said...

And you’re right about the plastic. It was before Peter had tracked down some softer polythene.