About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Tuesday, September 24, 2019

P is for Premiums, Down Under

These have been in Picasa for too long really, not because other things haven't been there for longer and - indeed - are still languishing there (!) but because when Tom Clague sent them to the Blog they are still current or current'ish, but that was over a year ago, so they may now 'only' be collectable!

The less interesting to figure collectors first; these were issued by a supermarket type concern in Australia, I think as part of a promotion, i.e.; if you spent so much you got one for free, rather than as purchases? checks eMails . . . every AU$30, got you a toy!

Blind-bag groceries which the Airfix 'Multipose' Bren-gunner reveals to be in-scale with larger dolls, but which could also be used to 'play shop' . . . presumably Coles shop! And - apart from the blow-moulded bananas - realistic renditions of high-street/household-name brands.

Tom pointed out there was a certain irony to the supermarket giving-away little bits of ephemeral plastic tat, two weeks after they phased-out their plastic carrier-bags, but sadly that's the nature of the world we live in! I have seen more wooden toys this year, even Mattel Hotwheels have a wooden range out at the moment!

These are a little more like it! Also found by Tom in Coles; chino-dino-bods! Blind-bag mini chinosaurs, looking slightly familiar, but it's a while since I had a session on them so I'm not sure if we've had them here under other packaging, but lovely sculpts, with realistic, subdued paint schemes . . . nice!

Scaling comes from the LB-Airfix Saladin armoured car and you can see they are 3 or 4-inches in the main, around 6-inches maximum? Thanks to Tom for sending both and letting us know what's happening 'Down Under'!

No comments: