About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, May 1, 2020

D is for Dive! Dive! Dive!

We looked at the Lone Star mini-sub/2-man torpedo with box a while ago, courtesy of Brian Berke, and at the time I mentioned the divers I had which were unfindable, well, I found them! And they weren't where I thought they might be, but that's collecting, as I'm sure some of you know only too well!

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
Mine is sans box (as is most of the large scale collection; too busy filling gaps to worry about packaging), but is otherwise all there, the only difference with Brian's in that his propeller was silver (polished steel!), while mine is gold (steam era bronze!). As you can see I need to find another rider - in either paint scheme - as mine don't match, one has an all-over silver suit, the other is mostly black with green straps on the helmet (matching Brains), but it doesn't end there . . .

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
. . . as I have a third, who doesn’t match either of them! He's not in the soft PVC-like material of some of the other Toyway re-issues, being polyethylene. Equally I don't think any of the marques who've been involved with the British re-issues have done the 'sub, so I guess a test shot of the mould-tool?

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
My propeller is a bit loose and keeps falling out so I keep it in its own little self-seal bag (with the equally loose counter-weight), but the hook is still there, so I could power it up if I wanted to. To be honest; I'm not sure the grommet hasn't been replaced with the end of a cheap, BIC-like biro?

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
Timpo's was a simpler affair with no motive power and an underside too narrow for one of those Hong Kong made, battery-operated - usually red/white - motor units you could by separately for such things, but which were also supplied with a lot of model vessels.

Mine is missing it's 'coat hanger' counter-weight, a thin [-shaped wire, similar to the Indian canoes, but a different length, which was designed to keep it upright while you pushed it about the bath! The propeller does turn, but you need a pencil or toothpick to make it so or make it go!

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
Timpo get a support-boat however, and there are other colours of scuba-tank (are there green ones?), the boat being used by other figures, and there is a four-man version but only with Brit's I think?

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
I see these on evilBay frequently, and recently missed-out on a  pearler which was bid to a reasonable sum! The divers are Britains copies I think, but the 'sub itself is relatively unique in design, but may be a copy of a toy I'm unaware of (Italian or Spanish maybe?).

From the nature of the graphics on the ad's I cropped these two out of, and the logotypes, I suspect Koon Yip were the manufacturer, while Mayfair some kind of middle-men - wholesalers or shippers? I also wonder if there is a motor nestled underneath, and whether it's B/O or wind-up?

Chariot Torpedoes; Deep Sea Divers; Gemini Craft; Koon Yip; KYPF; Lone Star; Lone Star Divers; Lone Star Minisub; Mayfair Trading; Mini-Sub's; Mini-Sumbarines; Plastics factory; Rubber Boats; S15 Chariot; S15 Mini Sub; Scuba Divers; Skindivers; Small Scale World; Sub-Aqua Diver; Timpo Divers; Timpo Gemini Craft; Timpo Minisub; Timpo Toys; Torpedo Boat; Toupille Humaine; Wind Up Toys;
All still on feebleBay yesterday, one (top left) a colour variation on a generic card, another (bottom right) described by the seller as Heinerle (which I doubt), the other two in Koon Yip-branded packaging and available - between the four - from the US, Canada and Germany!

The Britains one is the obvious absentee in this post, but first, I thought we'd seen it here already (but can't find the images) and second while I also thought I had one, I now can't find it . . . if I have, so 'another day' for that one!

No comments: