About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, May 23, 2021

Z is for Zoo Quest

Just a quick box-ticker really - not enough to photograph, not enough to say! I looked at Trek from Spear's Games the other day and a similar set with an animal buying/bagging mechanism rather than the stores-accruing of the former marks the main difference with this set from Ariel Games.

Board Game, Board Game Playing Pieces, Boardgame Pieces, Jungle Explorers, Jungle Game, Playing Board, Playing Pieces, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Ariel Games, Zoo Quest, BBC Zoo Quest, David Attenborough, Ariel Productions Limited, Philmar, Philip Marx
Zoo Quest was a BBC TV series most notable for giving David Attenborough his start in presenting natural history programming, and this licensed tie-in game will date from the same time, between 1954/5-1963 I guess?

Board Game, Board Game Playing Pieces, Boardgame Pieces, Jungle Explorers, Jungle Game, Playing Board, Playing Pieces, Small Scale World, smallscaleworld.blogspot.com, Ariel Games, Zoo Quest, BBC Zoo Quest, David Attenborough, Ariel Productions Limited, Philmar, Philip Marx
The 25mm soft polyethylene explorers are the most useful thing here and the reason it's in the collection, they are a tad larger than the Airfix Tarzan figures and while technically semi-flats, th nature of the pose and the depth of the sculpting means they could paint-up quite well with 25/28mm role-playing figures.

I got to thinking about Ariel's title with this game being TV related as was the Gillette Cup televised by the BBC for many years (cricket game we've seen here passim), and it struck me they might have been named for the aerials (different spelling) down-which TV signals were sent?

It turns out that while there's no evidence for such (they were a division of Philmar Publishing, eventually bought by Gibson's), they did produce a large number of mostly children's television program related card games (snap, happy families etc), featuring both ITV and BBC staples of the late 1950's and the 1960's, so it may be the reason . . . I like the idea it might be!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Texas. Had to do a double take on the figures. Turns out those are binoculars or high pockets...? I enjoy your blog, and I'm glad you are posting regularly again.

Hugh Walter said...

Yes! I nearly added they could be painted-up as a rather pert lady-explorer, but they ARE binoculars!!!!

H