About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, January 8, 2022

H is for How They Come In - June 2021 - 2 - Three Days in June

Toward the end of May last year I went a little mad on evilBay, call it shopping therapy, call it depression, call it extravagance . . . it wasn't a good time, there were no shows, lock-down was into its 26th month and it's comforting to go and buy shit, however transitory the feeling it brings, so that's what I did! And I like to think I have a good eye, so it's all worth a look, these are some shots I took not long after the Postman had been!

Tuesday 8th June - Parcels from the four corners of the world here, almost, with packages from Amazon, the USA, Ukraine and Greece all arriving together! From the latter came the Louizos Toys Wild West set, which I hope contains cowboys around 50/54mm and probably of the Solpa type, but I don't know as it's sealed, and having never seen one before I thought I'd better keep it sealed for now!

Below the unknown cowpokes we have a set of Teenage Mutant Ninja Hero Turtle Anthropomorphic knock-offs from the former Soviet Union, and bunch of Japanese glico-style spaceships and UFO's, but from the 'States, and a rather nice magnetic bottle-opener which was one of two I got in the last 18 months or so, I thought it looked like a Matchbox GI-copy, but it's closer to the Marx 60mm sculpt.

This single parcel arriving the next day was several lots from the same seller (Tony; a friend of the Blog), and contained all sorts of nice things, starting in the top left-hand corner, and moving vaguely clockwise - several swoppet knights, some Elastolin 54mm and some Hong Kong copies of Britains mounted Swoppets.

Below which is a handful of the RP issue of Co-Ma's Roman sculpts, with enough duplicates for me to send the five I hadn't previously been able to, to Peter, small thanks for all he sends to the blog, and who I'd originally sent my only one, we now both have a full set!

An empty swoppet box I can fill at some point! Two empty Airfix boxes and a bunch of loose Airfix figures, two of the new 1:144 war-gaming AFV's which have become popular, literally over the lifetime of the Blog! Below them are two Roskopf blisters, which are nice as I previously only had them loose, or in the small tan boxes, while in the bottom corner two sets of the Roco-Minitanks 'Artillery Group' (copies of Tamiya's 1:35th scale desert-attired 25lbr crew), so I will - at some point - make one up.

The 'box-square' of figures to their left are more modern HK/China (Rado) & Caesar and older Roco and Eidai figures in various amounts with a Japanese officer from Marx Miniature Masterpiece's lines.

To their left a mix of larger figures and above them smaller Giant, post-Giant and Montaplex, other HK figures of interest and a 45mm Ri-Toys (a.k.a. Rado) French soldier taken from Airfix. In the centre we have an Airfix boxed 6x6 truck, a post-Giant two-horsed, articulated chariot, Eidai FlaK's (one mounted on a  half-track) and Roco SPG.

While the 11th brought a very eclectic mix, which I thought to shoot, but not the best photograph of the three, nevertheless full of nice things!

In the distance, lined-up on the laptop is some Comansi Wild West, but not just any-old Wild West, they are the five character sculpts (husband, wife, two kids and uncle) from the High Chaparral, in front of them some cake-decorations (I can't even remember - one looks Chinese?), a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea . . . heehee!) diver from Remco, another PVC bird from that set we looked at the other day and some Toy Major knights.

We saw the two Soviet-era AFV's back in the summer or autumn, the V2 will be made up at some point, I intend to compare all three - Condor, Eidai and Revell! While I'd forgotten the two Hong Kong AFV's, they are the same maker as the one we looked at the other day, so I'll be able to cannibalise one of the Dingo's to give the Humber it's missing set of wheels.

Other AFV's include two guns and the weird six-wheeled AMX30! Three swans (?) a bag of ? (something), and finally; a set of Supreme Saracen/Livonian type knights made up an eclectic list of arrivals. Most got sorted away quite quickly and sent up to the storage unit, some just packed in 'To be Sorted' boxes, so I will have the fun of discovering them all again at some point!

No comments: