About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, July 30, 2022

F is for Follow-up - Marx Romans

Regular contributor and Loyal Reader Brian Berke from the Big Apple over there, sent this as a memory trigger (just as real life was getting frisky again here), off the back of the recent Marx Romans post, so here - in his own words - is that story, illustrated by Brian, by way of a follow-up!

Ark Models; Contribution; Converting Romans; Convertion; DZI Romans; Express Weekly; Louis Marx Toys; Marx Romans; Roman Britain; Roman Briton; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Ron Embleton; Russian Marx; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Wulf the Briton;
"A few years ago I contacted Paul Morehead [Editor of Plastic Warrior magazine] with a sketch of a pose that I remembered from the 50's.

Ark Models; Contribution; Converting Romans; Convertion; DZI Romans; Express Weekly; Louis Marx Toys; Marx Romans; Roman Britain; Roman Briton; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Ron Embleton; Russian Marx; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Wulf the Briton;
It was of a figure that was sold in Woolworth for 3d unpainted as part of their Romans. Back in 1957/58 I had converted with craft knife and Plasticine this figure into the character 'Wulf the Briton' then appearing in Express Weekly comic. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Express_Weekly]

Ark Models; Contribution; Converting Romans; Convertion; DZI Romans; Express Weekly; Louis Marx Toys; Marx Romans; Roman Britain; Roman Briton; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Ron Embleton; Russian Marx; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Wulf the Briton;
Paul identified it from a Marx catalogue and I found it reissued in Russia in a set of Romans [by DZI or now; Ark Models]. Luckily for me it was a few years ago as now I avoid anything Russian.

Ark Models; Contribution; Converting Romans; Convertion; DZI Romans; Express Weekly; Louis Marx Toys; Marx Romans; Roman Britain; Roman Briton; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Ron Embleton; Russian Marx; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Wulf the Briton;
Attached is the figure in contest with a Roman recreating the scene from 1958, this time using modelling putty not Plasticine."

Ark Models; Contribution; Converting Romans; Convertion; DZI Romans; Express Weekly; Louis Marx Toys; Marx Romans; Roman Britain; Roman Briton; Roman Soldiers; Romans On Foot; Ron Embleton; Russian Marx; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Wulf the Briton;
Many thnaks to Brian for sending this; the figure works well and  that hair is rebelliously distinctive!

I don't remember Wulf the Briton at all, yet it's drawn by one of my favorite commercial artists; Ron Embleton, of Fleetway's famous Trigan Empire strip, so I will try to catch-up, now - Google informs me - the stories have been reissued in bound volumes. I've bought the bound Trigan Empire, a present to myself with a small portion of my father's legacy a while back.

And I should note that there is no consistency throughout the blog with my choosing of colours, fonts or size of text when trying to differentiate or highlight other people's contributions or quotes!

No comments: