About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, September 7, 2022

P is for Pop is Eating Itself

I've mentioned it before, but this is a particularly sublime example of the genre, as two sets of Tolkein stuff hit the streaming platforms, not quite as Worhol'esque as Star-Wars-Super-Deform-Angry-Bird Pencil Tops, but here, we are looking at a real-world toy line, of characters in a fictional back-story animated movie of fictional characters in an older animated movie franchise, who are fictional toys, it doesn't get much more navel-gazing as an example of 'all out of ideas'!

"Mo" Morrison; Alisha Hawthorne; Buzz Lightyear; Commander Alisha Hawthorne; Commander Buzz Lightyear; Darby Steel; Izzy Hawthorne; Maurice Morrison; My Busy Book; Phidal Book; Phidal Publishing; Robotic Cat; Sox The Robotic Cat; Spaceship XL-01; XL-01 Spaceship; Zurg; Zyclops;
We/re back with Phidal for the toys within toys licensed toys! Only ten items again, which seems to be the new normal under the cost of living crisis, but the playmat will iron-out at some point in the future and provide and excellent backdrop for space photo's.

"Mo" Morrison; Alisha Hawthorne; Buzz Lightyear; Commander Alisha Hawthorne; Commander Buzz Lightyear; Darby Steel; Izzy Hawthorne; Maurice Morrison; My Busy Book; Phidal Book; Phidal Publishing; Robotic Cat; Sox The Robotic Cat; Spaceship XL-01; XL-01 Spaceship; Zurg; Zyclops;
Good guys, from the left for those who haven't caught the movie are; Buzz Lightyear (obviously!), Darby Steel (a lady, on parole); Commander Alisha Hawthorne (Buzz's trainer); granddaughter, Izzy Hawthorne and Maurice "Mo" Morrison.

"Mo" Morrison; Alisha Hawthorne; Buzz Lightyear; Commander Alisha Hawthorne; Commander Buzz Lightyear; Darby Steel; Izzy Hawthorne; Maurice Morrison; My Busy Book; Phidal Book; Phidal Publishing; Robotic Cat; Sox The Robotic Cat; Spaceship XL-01; XL-01 Spaceship; Zurg; Zyclops;
Bad guys, Zurg (purple) and one of his automaton Zyclops's, I am one of those who haven't seen it, although it looks like fun, but I believe it's all about Zurg being a 'Bond villian' (in space) and Buzz saving the world!

"Mo" Morrison; Alisha Hawthorne; Buzz Lightyear; Commander Alisha Hawthorne; Commander Buzz Lightyear; Darby Steel; Izzy Hawthorne; Maurice Morrison; My Busy Book; Phidal Book; Phidal Publishing; Robotic Cat; Sox The Robotic Cat; Spaceship XL-01; XL-01 Spaceship; Zurg; Zyclops;
Other items, Buzz;s ship (XL-01), an irritating (I'm sure) R2D2 knock-off and a cat, Sox the robotic cat to be precise! We make allowances for cats even if they are the annoying kid/Zoony/Jar Jar Binks/Daggit character! And I don't know if it is; I haven't seen the movie!

"Mo" Morrison; Alisha Hawthorne; Buzz Lightyear; Commander Alisha Hawthorne; Commander Buzz Lightyear; Darby Steel; Izzy Hawthorne; Maurice Morrison; My Busy Book; Phidal Book; Phidal Publishing; Robotic Cat; Sox The Robotic Cat; Spaceship XL-01; XL-01 Spaceship; Zurg; Zyclops;
T 'other sides! Out there now, must be one of the latest sets from Phidal, the Movie only came out at the beginning of the summer, and nice figures . . . as styles change in the real world, so they change in pop-culture and - space armour wise - I feel these would go well with Halo figurines of similar size - 60mm'ish.

No comments: