About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, September 16, 2022

C is for Casually Converted Cool Container Cap Cable Coil Carrier

6th of the line in the slightly silly Hugh's Handy Helpful Home Hobby Hints thread, but from time to time something simple and easy presents itself for further dissemination, so today we're looking at model railways, or at least vehicle loads.

33-06; 44-01; 99CL; Cable Drums; HO - OO Models; HO - OO-Gauge; HO OO; HO-Gauge; HO-OO; Model Railways; Negociant; OGI; OO HO Scale; OO-Gauge; Railway Modelling; Republique Frnace; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
I think these are - possibly French - water-fountain seals/caps, but they could just as easily be - also possibly French - mineral-water bottle caps from the 1970's, gas-tank or tube seals or something else entirely, and I won't bore you with the explanation for the relative scarcity of detail in the preceding sections of the paragraph, as it's based on about 5 fragments of non-memory!

Collin's however state - for 'Negociant' "A wine merchant or wholesaler; specifically, one who buys grapes, grape juice, or partially fermented or finished wine from others and sells the wine produced under his or her own name", so it may have been grape-juice? Presumably pronounced as 'nego[tiator]' and '[pres]cient' with a French ey'ont flourish? And - thinking about it for a few minutes; Mum did do home-brew at one point, so it all sort of makes sense!

Suffice to say I have in the past here at Small Scale World mentioned the sub-collection of Triang/Hornby cable-drum carriers, for which there are a few lorries as well, and when I found these sorting out the garage, I realised instantly that all they needed was a hot-glue gun!

33-06; 44-01; 99CL; Cable Drums; HO - OO Models; HO - OO-Gauge; HO OO; HO-Gauge; HO-OO; Model Railways; Negociant; OGI; OO HO Scale; OO-Gauge; Railway Modelling; Republique Frnace; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com;
Suitably weathered and scratched by up-to 30 or 40-odd years in sheds and garages, no work beyond lining them up properly before the hot-glue (actually a synthetic wax) sets, and voila! - as the French say; and they all know what they're saying because they all speak French!

I have a small flat-car, which is similar to the cable-drum car, but has two beams across the bed, I think it was the 'novelty' single car-carrier from the early boxed goods-train sets, this will go in between the beams nicely.

And while I would wind some wire round it for cable, it might look good as it as, as they mist have rolled-steel drums for special or particularly heavy cable and they would cost so much to make/hold, they would be returned empty for a deposit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the late 1970s cheap supermarket wine was sold in plastic bottles with these caps on them. Thanks for reminding me. Happy days.

Hugh Walter said...

Well, thanks for confirming what it is Anon', cheers!

H