About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, September 1, 2024

L is for Late Show Report - Introduction

So, the PW show plunder posts, a bit late this year, but things have happened! We had a couple of earlier posts on the ephemera and the lovely spinning top, from Michael, but I'll be going through the rest over the next few days, and we're starting with the sorting, and some items I shot at the show but didn't bring home with me!

This was how I got it home, and actually very little was show-purchases in the room, but some money changed hands for some of the stuff in the named piles, and because all those named either give me stuff or let me have stuff well below market rates/for nominal amounts/swaps, that's how I shot it!
 
And this year's posts will carry the same message as last year, but thanking, alphabetically; Adrian Little, Barney Brown, Brian Carrick, Chris Smith, Michael Mordant-Smith, Paul Stadinger, Peter Evans and Trevor Rudkin, with the Replicants stuff (Peter Cole/Weston's) also shot separately!
 
Once it has been sorted into themes, which was the Sunday job I think, it was a week or two before I got round to properly sorting it all out, but here we have (clockwise from top left) the scenics, ancient & medieval, combat, historical & ceremonial, Wild West, sci-fi/fantasy TV & movie-related, 'planes/trains/automobiles & vessels, farm & zoo, odds & sods and civilians (bottom left).
 
The vehicular component was sorted the same evening, and here from the left are; 'planes/aircraft, trains, road transport, vessels, motorcycles/bicycles and some component of unknown origin - bottom right!

While the things I shot the day before, at the Plastic Warrior show, included this fascinating piece, which is a 'cheapo' generic rack-toy with stapled blister, the animals obviously being Cherilea, but, also managing to ascribe - by association - some fence pieces, which may be in your 'unknown' zone, and which are taken from the hollow-cast/lead moulds, I believe?
 




Meractor Trading (Adrian) had a bunch of Blue Box/Tai Sang boxed sets from the home farm line which consisting of most of the commoner vehicular pieces, including tractors in two colours and with various attachments, the cart and a combine-harvester. Note also: the nice ID'ing of the Blue Box dog!
 
We've looked at these sets before, late Miniature Masterpiece window-boxes from Marx, with mostly polyethylene pieces, rather than the polystyrene that had run for years beforehand, this was missing a rider and had a tatty box, but you don't often see them so it was worth a shot. It differs from my Knights sets in having ten figures, as protagonists, rather than the three or four in my samples, seen here before, I think.


Ah, well; if you follow things in the hobby, these should now be familiar to you, seen in the PW mag, and on Stad's Stuff recently; coming soon from a new maker, based in the UK/Mauritius, and courtesy of Michael Mordant-Smith, these are re-issues of old sculpts (from the original tools) of a French company Cody March,.
 
Not common in the original, they will make a nice addition to the medieval oeuvre, still in development, the ready for production (back at the show's time) will be looked at again in the relevant thematic post in a day or two, while these two shots include those poses which were still needing tweaks and adjustments to the tooling - 'test shots'.

I thought I'd bought this, but I think I just shot it, as Brain Berke, our roving reporter in New York sent the Blog one a while back, and I wondered at the cavity on his back, then, so decided I didn't need a second one!
 
Welp, here is what fills it, a slip-in reservoir for baking soda! Marked - U.S. PAT. (for 'patent') 293291C FLIPPY MADE IN ENGLAND - which isn't coming up on the patent searches, but has a number near the smaller Kellogg's patent, we have looked at more than once here, so probably contemporaneous.
 
Over here it may have been an import (from the 'States) by someone like Fairylite, or an export which got a US Patent first, by someone like Poplar, Tudor Rose or Lipkin? We'll need to find a carded/boxed one as the next step in this particular mystery solving!
 
The Wendan/Timpo ape would have been here, but I tacked him onto the earlier 'ephemera' post a couple of months ago, and so it's many thanks to everyone named above, for another pile of plunder, and to Paul Morehead who, with two of the forenamed, puts the show on, every year.

2 comments:

Gisby said...

The sprue is a Warlord Games 'Cruel Seas' British MTB sprue, probably one of the many given as a free sample on (I think) Wargames Illustrated magazine.

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers mate, we're looking at it in close-up in a future post!

H