About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Q is for Question Time - Animal Flats

An odd one, as they are clearly not that rare, I have so many I split them between two bags, despite the fact that they clearly go together - as we'll see from the visible evidence, as well as the fact they came together in one or two sizable lots.

Farm and Zoo; Farm Animals; Farm Flats; Farm Toys; Flats; Flats - Civilian; Hunting Party; Margarine Flats; Margarine Premiums; Plastic Flats; Premium Flats; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Flats; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toys; Zoo Animals; Zoo Flats;
Domestic, farm and European wildlife/ woodland types, along with a couple of farmer types, colours are across the board and - with the semi-transparent ones - an air of French premiums about the whole lot, rather than German 'margarine flats'. Several of the sets shown in Piffret's Figurines Publicitaires have a similar colour-range, I seem to recall some puppies and birds - given away with petrol I think?

Farm and Zoo; Farm Animals; Farm Flats; Farm Toys; Flats; Flats - Civilian; Hunting Party; Margarine Flats; Margarine Premiums; Plastic Flats; Premium Flats; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Flats; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toys; Zoo Animals; Zoo Flats;
The wild or zoo animals; with a yeti, hunter and native bearer. Scale is all over the place, the bobcats looking a threat to the polar bears! I keep moving animals between the two bags, I think that white bird is a poor pheasant (as the red one is a peacock) so he got moved - along with the wild boar - when I put them away, and I'm still not sure about the curly-horned sheep/goat things! Also - odd that there's no elephant, but I may not have all of the poses.

Farm and Zoo; Farm Animals; Farm Flats; Farm Toys; Flats; Flats - Civilian; Hunting Party; Margarine Flats; Margarine Premiums; Plastic Flats; Premium Flats; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Flats; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toys; Zoo Animals; Zoo Flats;
There's a bit of paint on some of the animals in both bags, an accident on a work-bench rather than any factory thing, I suspect, but it's another reminder to me that they all belong together! If you found the figures in the lower picture, on their own, you'd be excused for thinking they were from a board game!

Farm and Zoo; Farm Animals; Farm Flats; Farm Toys; Flats; Flats - Civilian; Hunting Party; Margarine Flats; Margarine Premiums; Plastic Flats; Premium Flats; Premium Toy Figures; Premiums; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Flats; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Toys; Zoo Animals; Zoo Flats;
The sample is bigger than shown in the photo's and I'm pleased to report that there are some white polar bears! The alpine-sheep-goat thing; is it domestic or wild? I've left it in the wild pile for now.

Any ideas? These are from that Civilian-Farm-Zoo box we looked at briefly the other day, and tick all three boxes along with 'hunters'! From the size of the sample, the number of poses, the breadth of the subjects and the colour variation, I suspect something like bubble-gum, sweets, 'lucky-bags' or Wundertüten in the pocket-money bracket, issued over some time and with something purchased regularly; cigarettes, washing powder . . . 1950's or early-1960's and possibly French?

No comments: