About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

S is for Swivel not Swoppet!

Although the actual reason for these probably has more to do with sculpting limits vis-à-vis undercuts, rather than any desire for added playability, the bandsmen look silly dancing on swords, while the dancer is - frankly - mincing on the marching legs!

Crescent; Crescent 60mm Highlanders; Crescent 60mm Swivel Toys; Crescent 60mm Toy Soldiers; Crescent Toy Soldiers; Gordon Highlanders; Highland Bandsmen; Highland Pipes & Drums; Highland Toy Figures; Highlanders; Old Plastic Toys; Old Toy Soldiers; Scots Highlanders; Scots Soldier; Scots Troops; Scottish Highlanders; Scottish Infantry; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swivel Waist Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers; Vintage Toy Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers; Vintage Toys;
Three of the marching figures, all the 'Pipes & Drums' poses, although they all have the same legs, the Plastic Warrior magazine (link) 'Special Publication' on Crescent (for these are theirs!) makes clear that each figure is individually marked on the base, and the bases do differ slightly!

I didn't check mine before shooting the photographs, so you'll have to consult the above publication, especially as I am still missing a pose - gives me a chance to return to them one day!

Crescent; Crescent 60mm Highlanders; Crescent 60mm Swivel Toys; Crescent 60mm Toy Soldiers; Crescent Toy Soldiers; Gordon Highlanders; Highland Bandsmen; Highland Pipes & Drums; Highland Toy Figures; Highlanders; Old Plastic Toys; Old Toy Soldiers; Scots Highlanders; Scots Soldier; Scots Troops; Scottish Highlanders; Scottish Infantry; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swivel Waist Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers; Vintage Toy Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers; Vintage Toys;
The sword dancer; going back to the PW special; they suggest a surrendering pose is the result of the leg swap, and I can see it, my mincing comment was unfounded! Also I was going to use my favourite 'Dancing L....' phrase, but firstly, this isn't Cherilea and second, I don't want to be making enemies North of the boarder when I may be needing my McDougall credentials to seek asylum from a neo-fascist Bwreaksitian any-day soon!

Crescent; Crescent 60mm Highlanders; Crescent 60mm Swivel Toys; Crescent 60mm Toy Soldiers; Crescent Toy Soldiers; Gordon Highlanders; Highland Bandsmen; Highland Pipes & Drums; Highland Toy Figures; Highlanders; Old Plastic Toys; Old Toy Soldiers; Scots Highlanders; Scots Soldier; Scots Troops; Scottish Highlanders; Scottish Infantry; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swivel Waist Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers; Vintage Toy Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers; Vintage Toys;
Five of six; I'm missing the officer with drawn sword. This chap came in this year I think, can't remember if it was PW's show in Twicker's, Sandown or one of the boxes from Chris or Jim, so thanks to anyone it may have been! He is unpainted 'on top' but fully-painted 'underneath' which is a bit odd, until you realise . . .

Crescent; Crescent 60mm Highlanders; Crescent 60mm Swivel Toys; Crescent 60mm Toy Soldiers; Crescent Toy Soldiers; Gordon Highlanders; Highland Bandsmen; Highland Pipes & Drums; Highland Toy Figures; Highlanders; Old Plastic Toys; Old Toy Soldiers; Scots Highlanders; Scots Soldier; Scots Troops; Scottish Highlanders; Scottish Infantry; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Swivel Waist Toys; Vintage Plastic Figures; Vintage Plastic Soldiers; Vintage Toy Figures; Vintage Toy Soldiers; Vintage Toys;
. . . as a set/line they are shedding paint like there's no tomorrow! I can see a day, fifteen or twenty-years hence when I just strip them back to two-coloured unpainted figures, and that may be what happened to the marching torso?

 Crescent - especially late stuff - being not that chalky have always been bad at holding their paint and there's nothing you can do about it, short of adding a coating of something clear, which A) may discolour going forwards, or B) start flaking as well, bringing the paint underneath with it anyway!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I recently aquired a set of 5 of these figures (including the officer with sword). Two sword dancing figures but the one with the rifle slung over his shoulder is missing, so not a set.
I had no idea Crescent did swivel figures and would not have noticed had I not been posing them for a photograph.
The paintwork on these is pretty good top and bottom.

Do you have any info as to their age and worth?

Best regards

Hugh Walter said...

Not off-hand Anon; but they do go for a pretty penny in good condition I think? Try keeping an eye on eBay for a month or two, bound to have a few go through and you can judge the value that way. Crescent also did some 'full-on' swoppets in the standard 54mm.

H

Anonymous said...

Thanks H,

I am just wodeing if you'd like a picture with the officer figure in it to add to the page?

Hugh Walter said...

Absolutely! You can eMail me whatever you'd like to see on the Blog, or think other people might like to see!

maverickatlarge[at]hotmail[dot]com

If you send a few I'll post them as a follow-up, if you send the officer I'll add him here for completion, with an announce/link back in a 'News, Views Etc...' and no hurry, no other instructions! It's all grist to the mill!

H