About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, November 22, 2018

A is for Air Charter

Another board game, there's always one or two lurking in Picasa, although I think I got this only the other day, box knackered by the Sellotape (other sticky-backed plastics are available) the ladies in the charity shops put on them - usually over previous tape damage, making the getting off all the harder - means it's already mostly landfill or recycling.

2 to 4 Players; A Short Game for Junior Pilots; Aeroplanes; Air Charter; Board Game; Board Game 'Planes; Board Game Aeroplanes; Board Game Aircraft; Boardgame Pieces; Dice Game; Game; Game Playing Pieces; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Board Game; Waddington's;
Air Charter from the good people at Waddington's, it looks like fun, move and collect while paying fees and stuff, the mechanism probably similar to the various railway-building games of the same era, but with less adherence to a single track-way, and a final aim rather than a final destination!

2 to 4 Players; A Short Game for Junior Pilots; Aeroplanes; Air Charter; Board Game; Board Game 'Planes; Board Game Aeroplanes; Board Game Aircraft; Boardgame Pieces; Dice Game; Game; Game Playing Pieces; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Board Game; Waddington's;
They look a nit like the box-lid's DC3 from the side, but from a distance; more like a Spitfire or that little French thing which did so little in 1940 . . . the Dowhatucan?! No offence Bertheux!

They will go in the tub with all the other carrier model-kit/micro/Christmas cracker-toy aeroplanes. Yellow has picked-up some purple 'stuff' and is sneaking away from formation, to rack-up some points!

2 to 4 Players; A Short Game for Junior Pilots; Aeroplanes; Air Charter; Board Game; Board Game 'Planes; Board Game Aeroplanes; Board Game Aircraft; Boardgame Pieces; Dice Game; Game; Game Playing Pieces; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Vintage Board Game; Waddington's;
This lot was saved for the spares box. I sometimes feel a bit of a heel dumping the bulk of these, but rationalise it thus;

  • I collect toys not games
  • There were thousands of these in the 1950's, 60's and 70's
  • Many survive
  • There are lots of games collectors - it's a far bigger branch of the wider hobby
  • They were mostly formulaic
  • Once you've played them once or twice you're done with them
  • I keep the really rare ones
  • I keep the 'better' ones
  • If I kept all of them I'd drown in them
  • The more 'stuff' we process to 'recyc' the slightly better chance the planet has 

The little pyramids may make nice castellation-finals for an Airfix Foreign Legion fort conversion or something (caltrops!) I ever get back to a bit of modelling; the dice go in the dice bag and the clock-hands with their little 'popper' clips might prove useful one day?

No comments: