About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Monday, January 22, 2018

S is for Starship Troopers, Not!

I said the other day I should have tried some figures with the Halo UNSC 'Warthog' from Mattel's Hot Wheels, and that I could only think of the Starship Troopers as being vaguely suitable, the Galoob ones are still in the attic, but it turned out I was thinking of something else anyway and . . .

. . . yesterday (Sunday) I found (courtesy of Peter Evans) these copies of Galoob's Xpanders looking for something else, so a quick photo-shoot ensued. The running figure is 28-mil. I think they came together with the dino's and there was a larger sample overall.

Compared with the larger (32mm for same figure sculpt) and - I think - commoner set of equally poor rack-toy copies which came with hollow M2/M3 Bradley/ACAV type things in tubbed sets about 12/15 years ago, although probably still findable in seaside type discount stores.

From the archive - I don't have the Xpanders which are the basis for the china-troops, but I do have a small sample of the similar Galoob Starship Troopers, with the Micro-Machine size above and the Action Fleet size below, I don't think either is a particularly complete sample, and as is often the case with these things; Shaun has covered them in far more depth, and his repaints must be where I got the Halo idea from!

The larger set's figures are - like the Star Wars Action Fleet (and similar Playmates Star Trek) - semi-action figures, with two points of articulation - through/across the shoulders and at the waist; they also have a magnet in the base, the use for which I haven't looked-up!

4 comments:

Spectrum said...

Hi again Hugh,
My wife has a set of the Starship Troopers Action Fleet and the magnets allow the figures to be attached to the Bug figures similar to How Johnny Rico leaps on the back of the Tanker Bug in the film.

Hope as always that this helps,

Spectrum.

Hugh Walter said...

As always Spectrum - it helps! Thanks! You sound to have the coolest wife too!

H

Mike Bunkermeister Creek said...

Dinosaurs vs spacemen.

Always good to see that.

Mike Bunkermeister Creek

Hugh Walter said...

Cheers Mike, lucky you commented - I spotted a typo which would have sat here for another year otherwise! And it's Peter's Christian-name!!!


Soz Peter!

H