About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Saturday, February 9, 2019

C is for Cavemen - 2: Return to Marx (and other) Copies/Rack Toys

There were no takers on Gog's plea for helplast year, I've got my tub of 'odds' out of the storage pile, so we'll have another gander at these bottom-end rack toys and see if any memories are jogged?

Cave Man; Cavemen; Chinese Figures; Hong Kong Copies; Hong Kong Piracy; Hong Kong Plastic Toy; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Marx Cavemen; Marx Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Cavemen; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Toy Figurines; Vintage Plastic Figures;
A reminder of Gog's set - for which he's still after a brand or set title - they are Marx copies of a third or fourth copy-generation I suspect. Three-colour paint on a flat pinky-flesh polyethylene which has the tininess of 'modern' rack-toys from the 1980's to the 2000's.

Cave Man; Cavemen; Chinese Figures; Hong Kong Copies; Hong Kong Piracy; Hong Kong Plastic Toy; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Marx Cavemen; Marx Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Cavemen; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Toy Figurines; Vintage Plastic Figures;
My similar samples are from three sets/sources, with all-new poses at the top, two new poses and one duplicate (with Gog's) in the middle row along with unpainted versions below, who are slightly larger so probably slightly earlier.

Cave Man; Cavemen; Chinese Figures; Hong Kong Copies; Hong Kong Piracy; Hong Kong Plastic Toy; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Marx Cavemen; Marx Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Cavemen; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Toy Figurines; Vintage Plastic Figures;
A study of the bases above and a paint variation of 'hairy chest' (or large mega-fauna tick?!) below; I have a whole sample of the bare-chested chaps. Dropping the chest hair can't have been much of a saving - cost wise - for the maker as they still have the eyes dotted-in, but it's a hell of an improvement on the giant melanoma! Is it me or does he look like one of the Slag Brothers in the Wacky Races . . . booggederbooggerderbooggerdah!

Cave Man; Cavemen; Chinese Figures; Hong Kong Copies; Hong Kong Piracy; Hong Kong Plastic Toy; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Marx Cavemen; Marx Figures; Old Plastic Toys; Plastic Toy Figures; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Unknown Cavemen; Unknown Toy Figures; Unknown Toy Figurines; Vintage Plastic Figures;
An earlier, better copy of the Marx chap, also unpainted.

I suspect most of these are from the budget end of rack-toys and/or 'toobs'/tubs with a few palnts, some wild animals or - more likely - dinosaurs and any help tying them into set or brand names/titles would be appreciated by Gog, me and probably; many other loyal readers!

2 comments:

Gog said...

Hi Hugh,

Sorry I missed the first entry with my own cavemen. I don't know how could it happen, maybe was exactly during a short trip I did last summer. I actuallz thought you might have forgotten to publish them.

Anyway, the photos look great on your blog and it is a nice set of entries about cavemen you just wrote today. The older models from entry 1 are also very cool.

Thanks for the information and for keep on trying to get the exact origin of them.

Cheers,
Juan

Hugh Walter said...

No worries Gog, people sometimes come back to these posts years after I post them, so you never know!

H