About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, November 21, 2019

M is for More on WHW's

A few points on Wintershilfswerk figures, either confirming previous observations or not previously covered.

20 Professions; 20 Trades; Armed Forces; Charity Toys; Deutsches Rotes Kreuz; DRK; DRK; German Forces Today; Falschrimjager; Fisherman; Flag Day Tokens; German Forces Today; German Toy; German Toy Figurines; Industrious Germany; Kriegs Wintershilfswerk; Kriegs-WHW; Kriegshilfswerk; March 1939; Miner; Pin Badge; Pin-badge; Plastic Series; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tokens; WHW; WHW's; Wintershilfswerk;
I picked these falschrimjager up at Sandown last Saturday, from Adrian's rummage tray of WHW's and because I couldn't remember which one I had at home, hollow or flat base (upper pair), I selected both, only to find on Sunday that mine was completely different (right hand figure in lower two images) with a 'penny' base!

This confirms what we saw with the grenade thrower - three distinct issues. And the differences are greater here than they were with the grenadier; with my solid being joined (as a moulding) down the shins, while the two half-and-half glued-figures have a gap between the legs.

The one with a hollowed-out base is slightly miss-aligned, so the photo's had to be shot at weird angles to get him to stand up and make them all the correct height which - as you can see - differs too.

20 Professions; 20 Trades; Armed Forces; Charity Toys; Deutsches Rotes Kreuz; DRK; DRK; German Forces Today; Falschrimjager; Fisherman; Flag Day Tokens; German Forces Today; German Toy; German Toy Figurines; Industrious Germany; Kriegs Wintershilfswerk; Kriegs-WHW; Kriegshilfswerk; March 1939; Miner; Pin Badge; Pin-badge; Plastic Series; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tokens; WHW; WHW's; Wintershilfswerk;
Meanwhile, Adrian had found these and put them to one side for me, they are unused factory 'blanks' from a set of bisque service personnel; a set I'm currently unfamiliar with. You can see how they are each numbered under the place where the pin-badge is affixed, while you can also see how they are hollow slip-cast figures.

20 Professions; 20 Trades; Armed Forces; Charity Toys; Deutsches Rotes Kreuz; DRK; DRK; German Forces Today; Falschrimjager; Fisherman; Flag Day Tokens; German Forces Today; German Toy; German Toy Figurines; Industrious Germany; Kriegs Wintershilfswerk; Kriegs-WHW; Kriegshilfswerk; March 1939; Miner; Pin Badge; Pin-badge; Plastic Series; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Tokens; WHW; WHW's; Wintershilfswerk;
I have two from a set I do know - Industrious Germany - which was issued in March 1939 as a set of 20 different professions and trades, of which I have above the fisherman (new acquisition) and the miner (we may have seen before here?). And you can see how the pin-badge is attached with a blob of chemical-fixer which may be an early two-part epoxy type polymer?

These too, seem to have had different issues (one being matt-finished, the other glazed), so take the date with a pinch of salt - look what happened to the accepted date of the Armed Forces plastic series!

No comments: