About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Friday, August 27, 2021

H is for Hummmm . . . ?

This is a quickie, but nevertheless interesting as far as Hong Kong/China tat goes, if only for it's oddness, and the fact that it explains something which has always bugged me, vis-a-vix some unpainted 'Galoob' figures in the collection!

Attack Force; Collectors Cassette; Die Cast AFV; Die-Cast Aircraft; Eindekker; G.I.A; Galoob; GIA; Golden Wheel Die Casting; M60 Tank; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Metal Toys; SAS; Secret Army Supplies; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Video Cassette Case;
First weirdness is that this is basically an old VHS video-case, with a paper-card, windowed wraparound and a shaped, inverted-blister tray where the actual tape would otherwise lay. I assume the GIA is an attempt at a play on words, i.e., instead of MIA (missing in action) they are going with G.I.'s in action? No, it doesn't really work, but I couldn't find a better explanation in my slowing brain!

Attack Force; Collectors Cassette; Die Cast AFV; Die-Cast Aircraft; Eindekker; G.I.A; Galoob; GIA; Golden Wheel Die Casting; M60 Tank; Made in China; Made in Hong Kong; Metal Toys; SAS; Secret Army Supplies; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Video Cassette Case;
Contents are two really cheap die-casts (the tank's turret already has a huge crack from alloy-disease, despite never having been played with) and two figures. The figures are the unpainted versions of Galoob's Army Gear / Secret Army Supplies figures, which explains them, and why, when I found an SAS set, by Galoob a few weeks after that first post; they too, were painted.

They seem to be the same figures just unpainted, so may have been a clearance thing, and while I don't think the tank is Pioneer, the plane is rather better, and these could be early Pioneer, but it's only a thought and I won't tag them as such; they are clearly marked-up to the Golden Wheel Die Casting Factory Limited and dated to 1991.

The video-case thing was also common at one point, back in the day, they could be used for fancy stationary sets, make-up sets, aroma-stick/burner sets, greetings-cards, emergency tool kits . . . you know; sort of novelty tat round Christmas time!

No comments: