About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Sunday, December 11, 2022

PW is for Polymer Warriors!

Just a quickie, picked these up the other day as part of the 'machine-gun' lots, I missed them first time round although I was in the room I think, but I was there as a small-scale collector only and probably turned-down the free one at the door . . . shock horror!

1985-1995; 1995; 1995 Show Figure; 5 Model Figures; 54mm Plastic; Colonial Infantry; Commemorative Plastic Figure; or sola Topi; Peter Cole; Pith Helmet; Plastic Warrior Figure; Plastic Warrior Magazine; Plastic Warrior Show; PW 10th Anniversary; PW 10th Show; PW 1995 Show; PW Figure; PW Magazine; PW Show; Replicants; Safari Helmet; Salacot; Shola Topi; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Solar Topee; Sun Helmet;
The guys at PW have over the years managed to commission a re-run of Dulcop's tools, import Hing Fat, save the Rocco moulds, liaised with the saving of other moulds, offered other figures from time to time, published, or supported the publishing of a number of other books and guides, and - I think it's fair to say - supported the fledgling Replicants? A list which all other toy soldier magazine teams can only envy!

To commemorate the occasion of their 10th year of publishing and the putting-on of their legendary shows, they gave away one of these to each entrant to the 1995-show, back in the Queen Charlotte Hall days, just off Richmond town center, I think the door figures were red plastic, but lots of other colours/shades where run-off.

1985-1995; 1995; 1995 Show Figure; 5 Model Figures; 54mm Plastic; Colonial Infantry; Commemorative Plastic Figure; or sola Topi; Peter Cole; Pith Helmet; Plastic Warrior Figure; Plastic Warrior Magazine; Plastic Warrior Show; PW 10th Anniversary; PW 10th Show; PW 1995 Show; PW Figure; PW Magazine; PW Show; Replicants; Safari Helmet; Salacot; Shola Topi; Small Scale World; smallscaleworld.blogspot.com; Solar Topee; Sun Helmet;
Those other colours were also available at the show, in these bags of five, but for a few silver-pieces, and as you can see mine are two dark, two mid- and one lighter green in that shade/range I call 'herb' green, which is 'errb to our French and 'urb to our US readers!

The figure is a late C19th 'colonial' era soldier, standing at attention, wearing a solar topee/pith helmet (safari helmet, salacot, sun helmet), or sola/shola topi - Indian, because it's made of shola pith!

Designed and sculpted by Peter Cole (of Replicants) for the magazine's tenth birthday, and it was intended (I think?) to go with those early Zang/Herald for Britains figures similarly posed - Sikh Indian, Highlander, 'Khaki Infantryman' and Guardsman (a few of which were also in the lot with these).

I now have a few, to make up from my previous heretical approach to the larger size, with red, bright green and purple-marbled ones being seen here in the past I think, so hopefully I'm forgiven, but I'll stand-by for corrections on the above details as it was a while ago and I wasn't paying attention at the time!

Plastic Warrior's Blog

2 comments:

Paul Morehead said...

Ah yes Hugh, back when PW had an import arm! We also commissioned a run of Marx remoulds from Mexico, bought the remaining stock from Oliver in Spain, and the remaining factory stock of Jean Napoleonics. I don’t know how we had enough time!

Hugh Walter said...

A service to the hobby you kick-started!

H