About Me

My photo
No Fixed Abode, Home Counties, United Kingdom
I’m a 60-year-old Aspergic gardening CAD-Monkey. Sardonic, cynical and with the political leanings of a social reformer, I’m also a toy and model figure collector, particularly interested in the history of plastics and plastic toys. Other interests are history, current affairs, modern art, and architecture, gardening and natural history. I love plain chocolate, fireworks and trees, but I don’t hug them, I do hug kittens. I hate ignorance, when it can be avoided, so I hate the 'educational' establishment and pity the millions they’ve failed with teaching-to-test and rote 'learning' and I hate the short-sighted stupidity of the entire ruling/industrial elite, with their planet destroying fascism and added “buy-one-get-one-free”. Likewise, I also have no time for fools and little time for the false crap we're all supposed to pretend we haven't noticed, or the games we're supposed to play. I will 'bite the hand that feeds', to remind it why it feeds.

Thursday, December 8, 2022

S is for Snow Pictures in Fleet

Nothing to do with toy soldiers, or even nostalgia; when I was a kid you got snow piled in the corners of shop windows but that was about it, this is a newer craft altogether, and takes advantage of the techniques of the graffiti artist and the properties of fake snow-in-a-can, and I thought they were worth shooting and sticking-up here as we career towards the 25th with alarming speed!

On one level it's a bit formulaic, with the same tropes from picture to picture; four-pointed stars, a snowfield across the bottom, snowmen (all white!) etc . . . but also some skill in making each design fit the window-frame or shop-front, and as a form of advertising it's as good as any other, after-all I made the point of walking the whole high-street and photographing them, didn't I!

Mostly found on the smaller independent shops and boutiques, none of the multi-branch names have bothered, nor have the larger - national - estate agent chains, but a couple of the smaller ones have, along with a couple of the hairdressers and several of the coffee-shops, while some (the 2nd one down and the delivery van) reflect the nature of the business, most were just seasonal fare. Anyway, enjoy - Aliens later!


















The hare is very feint in the last two images but he is there, down on the left in the first image and filling this one! There were also a couple I couldn't get decent images of due the the low, winter sun!

It's also reminded me I have a High Street post from last summer in the queue somewhere - animals again, along with last winter's exhibition at the Library, and I'd better get up there and see if this year's is up? I'll have to run them back-to-back!

No comments: